JSP's 2014 6.2 High Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about the HID bulbs, but the h9 halogen puts out more lumens of light than the h11. h11~1250 lumens where h9~2100 lumens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

At the same color temp all HID put out the same amount of light. h9 is brighter because its a 65w instead of 55w.

I don't understand "all the trouble" of hids you talk about?
I've had the same pair of hids in my truck for 3yrs, run them on auto every single day. No relay. Never had a flicker issue or failed startup.

You need to
A. Quit buying janky kits
B. Quit doing janky installs.
You will have no issues.

Cough up some money for a good morimoto kit from TRS in 5k, sit back and enjoy

You should know I don't buy janky shit by now. All Phillips HIDS from *******'s. That's all I've ever bought. I've never had a problem with them. When I put my fogs in, somethin triggered 1 bulb to pop and it blew my fuse. That was it. The kits you have to buy for the new 14's have to have an extra relay and that's what's causing some problems. Some kind of eliminator. From what I've read these are hid projectors, they just cheaped out and put halogen bulbs.

Sent from Tapashit

Worst build thread ever

Shut up Brandon lol did u really expect excitement in my thread? You should know this by now. I'm just trying to figure shit out before hand so I don't fuck this one up. Learned a lot of no no's from my last truck.

Sent from Tapashit

Projector headlight systems were originally designed to be used with HID's. Instead of offering HID's in the 2014 trucks, GM opted to go the cheap route and use halogen bulbs instead. The result is headlights many of us consider inadequate, at best. Installing HID bulbs helps to partially correct what many see as a significant design flaw. HID bulbs are not perfect (primarily because of GM's use of inferior lenses and reflectors in the stock projectors) but are a substantial improvement over the stock halogen bulbs.

It does not say that THESE specific ones in the truck are designed for HIDs. The projector concept was developed for HID, but you can still design a halogen projector. Thats what GM did, spec'd a halogen projector to shave a few hundred bucks off final cost. The code deal is so that if one goes out, you get a message on your dash. BMW, audi, mercedes have been doing this for years, its nothing new, you just have to account for it. Most qualit vendors also sell replacement lamps ( LED ) with the CANBUS drivers built into them.

It does not say that THESE specific ones in the truck are designed for HIDs. The projector concept was developed for HID, but you can still design a halogen projector. Thats what GM did, spec'd a halogen projector to shave a few hundred bucks off final cost. The code deal is so that if one goes out, you get a message on your dash. BMW, audi, mercedes have been doing this for years, its nothing new, you just have to account for it. Most qualit vendors also sell replacement lamps ( LED ) with the CANBUS drivers built into them.

So if I get everything from morimoto I probly won't have a problem with them is what your saying?

Sent from Tapashit

Dude just do the h9 mod with the stock housings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using tapacrap

Go HID, just get a quality kit, with quality relays. And if you get LEDs for drls etc, make sure they are error free canbus LEDs.
If you get the right gear it'll work right. I went through it with my Mercedes.
If you don't get proper equipment, it will give bulb out errors and sometimes won't fire.
The LEDs are a bit more expensive, but they work work as they are supposed to.
As well as the morimoto CANBUS harness from TRS. My Benz chewed up 1 harness and 1 ballast on the right side for some reason. But TRS got it swapped out and have been good for 2 yrs.

It has the same kind of lighting system, gm finally hopped on board. But like stated earlier, the technology is nothing new. Even Chrysler has been going it for some time.

The way it works on a canbus system is it senses voltage. A typical halogen is 55w, hid is 35w. When the system sees a drop in voltage it assumes improper operation and throws an error. That's where a quality relay harness comes in. It fools the system into normal operation. Win win.

Last edited:
Go HID, just get a quality kit, with quality relays. And if you get LEDs for drls etc, make sure they are error free canbus LEDs.
If you get the right gear it'll work right. I went through it with my Mercedes.
If you don't get proper equipment, it will give bulb out errors and sometimes won't fire.
The LEDs are a bit more expensive, but they work work as they are supposed to.
As well as the morimoto CANBUS harness from TRS. My Benz chewed up 1 harness and 1 ballast on the right side for some reason. But TRS got it swapped out and have been good for 2 yrs.

It has the same kind of lighting system, gm finally hopped on board. But like stated earlier, the technology is nothing new. Even Chrysler has been going it for some time.

The way it works on a canbus system is it senses voltage. A typical halogen is 55w, hid is 35w. When the system sees a drop in voltage it assumes improper operation and throws an error. That's where a quality relay harness comes in. It fools the system into normal operation. Win win.

I think this is the most helpful post you've ever put in any of my threads haha. Thanks :shake: these halogens suck donkey dick. I'm just so use to my HIDS. I'll go 35watt lows and 55 watt high beams.

Might do led fogs for the time being though bc im waiting on rigid to release a Dually/Dually 2 fog light kit for my truck. So I don't wanna spend a lot on that right now.

Also, I'm thinkin 6k.. No more 8's.. I'm done with that lol. I want a little more output vs color.

Sent from Tapashit

Why not? It'll be more of an improvement than you think.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Bc if i am going to do any kind of lighting I'm doing it right the first time. If I can do HIDS and they work, no way I'm doing other halogens.

Sent from Tapashit

Status
Not open for further replies.