My 2011 GMC Crew Build (Bayou Betty)

Suppose to be 2/1. 2 weeks offshore and 1 week off. I'm engineering, so my schedule is whatever the f they feel like which is why my schedules are so crazy and I've been in Korea more than half the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I'm supposed to be on a 2/1 but we're so jacked up that people get stuck working a month or so then a few days off

Yea I'm supposed to be on a 2/1 but we're so jacked up that people get stuck working a month or so then a few days off

Same thing here. I can tell you from experience that the only way you will get the 2/1 is once you get positioned on a nice rig, which as big as we are now is what we are mostly on. Once u get there, u are pretty set at 2/1.

If anyone is wondering I work for a company called M-I SWACO

request sent in to them just now!

I figured you would not have a problem and we are known to hire veterans as well. We have some still in the reserves and our company works with the military schedule.

3 things for anyone reading this to know before deciding offshore life:
1. Do not be discouraged from the shitty jack up rigs. Jack up living conditions typically suck, especially for 3rd party, but you will work with some of the best people I have ever worked with which makes it bearable.
2. Do the math with the offer before also getting discouraged. Reason I say this, is anyone will most likely see an offer of between 15-17/hour unless you have serious offshore experience. You might think this is low, but do the math. Lets say you get an offer of 15/hr and get on a 2/1 schedule. Each day is a min of 13 hrs/day you are out, not including travel and holidays. Each week you get at least 91 hrs (13x7) so you have 40 hrs at 15/hr and 51 hrs at 22.50 (time and a half). That is 600+1147.5=1747.50 a week. If you are on 2/1, that means you will work 34.76 weeks a year, making it 60,746.42 a year at 15/hr. Again, this does not include travel and holiday pay. Also there is a per diem of 25 a day you are offshore.
3. Typically it does not matter where you live. If you are not getting the hours you want, work in the shop. They will give you 40 hrs a week in the shop and put you in a hotel no charge if you are not local. But if they tell you to be a Fourchon at 4 am, you better be at Fourchon at 4am. They also pay some mileage (typically shop to port) and hours for travel. We have guys that live in texas, obviously la, and mississippi. That is our majority.

aja7apy7.jpg

To this

2e5ate8y.jpg

I figured you would not have a problem and we are known to hire veterans as well. We have some still in the reserves and our company works with the military schedule.

3 things for anyone reading this to know before deciding offshore life:
1. Do not be discouraged from the shitty jack up rigs. Jack up living conditions typically suck, especially for 3rd party, but you will work with some of the best people I have ever worked with which makes it bearable.
2. Do the math with the offer before also getting discouraged. Reason I say this, is anyone will most likely see an offer of between 15-17/hour unless you have serious offshore experience. You might think this is low, but do the math. Lets say you get an offer of 15/hr and get on a 2/1 schedule. Each day is a min of 13 hrs/day you are out, not including travel and holidays. Each week you get at least 91 hrs (13x7) so you have 40 hrs at 15/hr and 51 hrs at 22.50 (time and a half). That is 600+1147.5=1747.50 a week. If you are on 2/1, that means you will work 34.76 weeks a year, making it 60,746.42 a year at 15/hr. Again, this does not include travel and holiday pay. Also there is a per diem of 25 a day you are offshore.
3. Typically it does not matter where you live. If you are not getting the hours you want, work in the shop. They will give you 40 hrs a week in the shop and put you in a hotel no charge if you are not local. But if they tell you to be a Fourchon at 4 am, you better be at Fourchon at 4am. They also pay some mileage (typically shop to port) and hours for travel. We have guys that live in texas, obviously la, and mississippi. That is our majority.

Exactly, Also if anyone is wanting to work offshore I have a lot of the recruiters information for the Drilling Companies, emails and phone numbers. Offshore is booming right now with all the major companies building these new Drillships which are hella nice. entry level for most of them are around 60k for the year and can work your way up to over 200k a year if you stay with it. And our rotation is either 21/21 or 28/28.

Exactly, Also if anyone is wanting to work offshore I have a lot of the recruiters information for the Drilling Companies, emails and phone numbers. Offshore is booming right now with all the major companies building these new Drillships which are hella nice. entry level for most of them are around 60k for the year and can work your way up to over 200k a year if you stay with it. And our rotation is either 21/21 or 28/28.

Yeah I told Jared to hit you up if he thought about a drilling company as you would have better connections on that side of things.

I don't get why people say "it's ok that we get 15 per hour because we work 116 hours a week"
Fuck that. In reality your still out working so why get less pay, all you are is under paid and over worked.

Halliburton guys start out low as hell, one guy told me he makes 12.50 and followed it up with " but I get ALOT of hours so it works out"

Just dosent make any sense to me, knowing what other companies pay I wouldnt take less than 18.50/hr

I don't get why people say "it's ok that we get 15 per hour because we work 116 hours a week"
Fuck that. In reality your still out working so why get less pay, all you are is under paid and over worked.

Halliburton guys start out low as hell, one guy told me he makes 12.50 and followed it up with " but I get ALOT of hours so it works out"

Just dosent make any sense to me, knowing what other companies pay I wouldnt take less than 18.50/hr

Because when you work offshore oilfield, that is the hours no matter what. You know what you are going to make and how many hours you are going to work. This is why the pay seems low, but is not. If you see his remarks, pay is between 60-200k. Reason being is seeing if you can even make it in the life. The beginning work is not hard at all and if you are worth a damn, they will see it and you will most likely be promoted faster and pay will rise quickly. They are not going to offer 90-100k to someone who has never worked in the oilfield before. Seeing as you have worked oilfield, you can make that claim of 18.50, but this was an explanation for someone just entering the field. 12.50 is ridiculously low however.

service companies also pays guys straight time for 18hrs a day while they are on the rigs or ships, when we get 40 reg hours then 44 overtime hours, then any more overtime that we would have from working over.

Last edited: