ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

I've got everything on order. I think I will lift her up tonight and start grinding away at the rust.
Something I can work on until my parts arrive. I'm going to do it in sections for now until I can lift the bed off.

Marc : Dropping this off @ the post for you tomorrow. May take a while to get there but it should get there. Good luck.
IMG_20131018_083042_606_zps7692d83e.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow morning I am grabbin some new grinding wheels for my air tools.
New Wire Brushes
5 gallons of Evapo Rust
Couple cans of Mar-Hyde 1 step.

Also ordering some 74/WA9260 Victory Red paint + Clearcoat - couple of pints.

Goodbye cash... but it will keep me busy for a while.

Hope you guys are having a kick ass Friday night.

Last edited:
This is a pic of the rear crossmember just in front of bumper.
It's actually just about floating there. Completely shot on passenger side.
There is a towing crossmember and hardware on the end which is doing the job
of this rotted out metal.

This truck is 10 years old.. only driven for 8.5 years and has 70K on it. Looks much older.
Under the cab and a few feet beyond are pretty good... rusty but it can be saved.

I will probably just spray this stuff down with a rust converter and really consider
a shortbed conversion. I really wanted to do the 6.0 swap but this might have to come first
before it gets much worse.

I did some grinding and sanding today, but it's overwhelming when you look at all o f it.

IMG_20131019_143147_385_zps2b0b0b18.jpg

IMG_20131019_143208_229_zps50397e59.jpg

Last edited:
oh wow that looks rough i can see why you had so much trouble getting your keys out !! but yeah a short bed would also be sweet looking IMO

Todays fun:
Soaked the bed bolts with pb blaster.
Soaked the hitch (damn thing will NOT come out)
Removed the badge goop off the tailgate with 3M adhesive cleaner.

I need to add removing the truck bed to my list. It's the only way I can get at
the rust and to make a decision about the shortbed conversion. It will also help me gauge
how many other places need to be patched, reinforced or completely replaced.

Also sold my SUV, so I have a little cash kicking around but I will tuck it away.
Plenty to do at the moment. One step at a time.

Got an engine hoist I can borrow?

I am a one-man-band and lifting my bed off should only take about an hour with the right tools.
Although I may just buy a new one.. I will need it for my motor swap anyway.

Thanks for the props on the wheels... I really liked the rehab/predator styling. I think it will look great, if they fit.

Last edited:
I ordered 4 20x10 Ultra Predators 6x139.7 with -25mm offset 4.52 BS :thumbsup:
*Skipped the BMF because it's an 8 lug 20x10.

They will arrive mid/late next week. Now I need to order some lugs and looking for some flares as well.

You guys were a huge help, even though I was wavering..
I'll probably need to do some trimming but we'll cross that bridge soon enough.

Off to spend more money.

Edited the thread and cleaned up rim samples / extra images to shorten it.

:omg:

:success: that's 2 trucks I suggested wheels for that were purchased

Yep. I did a long inspection last night. Rust is worst @ the last 12" or so. The rest of the frame has rust, but can still be cleaned and is solid. The only place that it's getting weak is right under the driver side front of cab where the frame turns upward.

I can cut it out and patch her up easy so not worrying about it at the moment. DAT RUST MEN.
:llamastare:

Last edited:
You Maine guys like reg cab long beds dont ya?? no wonder Ginger is all up in this thread too :P

Truck should look awesome when its all done. Hows it ride with the RC kit? Everytime I see a leveled truck it makes me want to go that route. Im going to need tires in a couple months probably sio why not aye???

To be honest the ride didn't change all that much. It was pretty "squishy" before and a little too soft in the front end.

Now it's tight, front and rear and feels 'springy'... a bit more rigid than the old shocks / springs.
They were probably worn as well. It feels like my truck is ready to do some hauling / towing.

If my new wheels fit *IF* then I might dial it back down 1/4-1/2" in the front to soften it up a bit.
I'm pretty happy with it though. $200 bucks well spent.

really with the RC leveling kit you Can't go wrong its 200 bucks for 4 shocks keys and block with u bolts, i priced out just rancho shocks and it was going to cost me 450 bucks !!!

i can't wait for this guys tool too get here :shakehands: so i can install my keys and shocks !! with the rake i have now with just the rear in it looks like a poser 2wd with a z71 sticker on it :argh:

Haha! poserrr.

It's gonna be like Christmas here this week.. only I had to pay for it. Oh well.
Lot of things coming each day, so it will be more fun than usual to come home from work.

Lugs and valve stems arrived today..
ResizedImage_1382391413573_zpsfd251320.jpg

Last edited: