ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

To get the bars to settle, the only way I know is to go drive it over lots of rough roads and bumps, and make steering maneuvers. Just sitting it will never settle because the weight of the truck won't move he tires outwards to allow the arms to come down. You need to try and get the alignment close, so you can drive it a day or so before you get it to the alignment shop.

To get the bars to settle, the only way I know is to go drive it over lots of rough roads and bumps, and make steering maneuvers. Just sitting it will never settle because the weight of the truck won't move he tires outwards to allow the arms to come down. You need to try and get the alignment close, so you can drive it a day or so before you get it to the alignment shop.

This x2

Sent from Tapashit

Yeah they are marked with a L & R and a small direction sign for rotation on the back.
I did double check them, and I verified the R was on the passenger side.

Do Not Want Broken / Warped Torsion Bars.

A little research turned up the following:

Sample measurements Based off a 2006 Chevy 2500HD
Front center hub to fender - 28.5"
Rear center hub to fender - 44.5"
[I prefer this emasurement as it ignores tire size]

My front center hub to fender is about 32" sitting on the adjuster blocks.
I had those Cognito Keys cranked almost to stock location at first, and the truck was over 6"+ inches of lift in the front, almost to max travel height.

So tonight I will work my way through the list and torque a few more things into place while continuing charging the batteries.

Last edited:
I am also going to pop the ball joints out of the spindles and re-crank them properly.
I have very stiff knuckles, extremely hard to turn by hand. I may have not seated them properly.

I'll go through, pop them off, and then re-tighten from the bottom up and make certain they are moving properly. I'll do this over the next few days before I put the new calipers and brake lines in. Would rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Allison Transmission Shift Linkage / Shifting Arm Mod.

I marked up this image for a before and after. I am pretty much set on moving forward with this mod to use the Cognito Allison transmission mount [6spd] I purchased and installed.
I'll remove the arm from the shifting cable (small clip holding the assembly together. I already have it unbolted from the transmission.

I am then going to cut the bracket [in picture] and create an angled gap. It needs about 1/2" extra travel or so [I'll get the exact amount used by the arm to shift the tranny.]
I'll weld some steel / filler back into the joint and then grind / paint the modded arm. I am not going to wait around just to find out I need to put my stock bracket back on.
The reason for doing this : I want to use the new bracket as it does have better clearance.. seems it was designed for a 2007.5.
I am assuming it is not needed for the 2007 LBZ classic down.

Hope to have this completed Thursday night. It will be one of the last steps, pending any other changes.

5156e07d-137e-41e1-b089-73acb56093f6_zpsa86113ab.gif

Last edited:
if that doesnt work and you need something made, let me know, i can make you something out of stainless.

Will do, but this bracket should cleanup. Seems to be in good shape. I'll keep that in mind for future parts though.
I will be sure to add enough material to it so that I can re-tension my cable... right now it's maxed on the slack.

Progress.

- Front shocks torqued top and bottom
- Sway Bar Links torqued Top and bottom
- Removed front tires, rotors and calipers again to check knuckles. Right side has loosened up a little already.
- Charged the batteries for a couple more hours. Started the truck up, first time since late July :clap:
- Adjusted Right tie-rod and left it a little loose to make some final tweaks.
- Soaking left tie-rod and will try to break it free in a few minutes, it was being stubborn.
- Tightened exhaust above torsion bar cross member

Also received a few goodies on the porch

Rotors
IMG_20140923_173610550_zpsfq08cyxd.jpg

Brake pads
IMG_20140923_173811301_HDR_zpscozaf0wf.jpg

Calipers
IMG_20140923_174205353_HDR_zps6o0mobhw.jpg

Bezel for my gauge rebuild project.
IMG_20140923_175628486_HDR_zpsz0cj5n11.jpg

IMG_20140923_175637198_zpscju2dbal.jpg

That's it for tonight

Pulled the shifting bracket
IMG_20140923_212121515_zpsabfilckj.jpg

IMG_20140923_215936285_zpsf2hhdfto.jpg

I'll grind it up, cut it and weld it back together on Thursday.
Tightened a few bolts and wanted to go inside for the night.

I usually catch a late show before bed, so I decided to remove my cluster and start the LED conversion on it.
Still waiting for my Black Cat face to arrive for it, but I can get everything else done.

So dirty, dusty for sitting so long lol.. definitely needs a good detailing inside and out when this is over.
IMG_20140923_220844920_zpsuaivngst.jpg

Setting up
IMG_20140923_222924055_zpsl1wikn4m.jpg

Na, just got some dim-able blue LED's. Maybe I will hold off and install the strips for more light.
I don't want any weak spots /spotting going on. I could always use these LED's in the other areas.

It's easy either way.. I don't mind waiting to ship some more.

[EDIT]

Nick Martin over @ Cognito Motorsports sent me this message today in regards to the Allison 6spd transmission mount
"The bracket is designed to work with a different shift arm. So take that bracket off and put the stock one back on and you should be fine"

I am not going to put the stock back on though.. I am going to move forward with my shift arm mod.

Last edited:
Flex lines are in.
IMG_20140924_180513685_zpscwntf354.jpg

My coworkers looked at me funny when I walked in with this. I'll be soldering it up on my lunchbreak.
Move aside and let the man come through.
output_zpslzpvftmv.jpg

I'll be crushing [hopefully] a whole list of things tonight.