ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

Front End Service Kit + Ball Joint Press just arrived. Sweet :thumbsup:

IMG_20140822_142143748_zpsdsxwv2ub.jpg

Going to pull a few things off the truck tonight, organize some tools etc.

how hard was it to replace those lower ball joints? I gotta do mine.. How much was that kit?

I posted links to the ball joint press a few posts back. Wasn't bad. I used a propane torch to heat up the arm, put the arm on something solid and hit it with a 4lb hammer a few times. Popped right out.

Installation was easier. Just clean the area, lube the ball joint, and use the press to squeeze it back in. I unloaded it and reloaded it just to make certain it was seated properly.

Tons of progress today. Connor made it back down and we finished the tear down.
I made the mods to the frame, grounded it down and painted any exposed metal.
Also got the diff removed and cut.

IMG_20140824_193320138_HDR_zpsd34blbid.jpg

We then removed the hubs from the old spindles and organized everything for reassembly.
We left it at a good point as I need to disassemble the steering still, and then I am going to weld in a gusset to allow for the new heavy duty cognito idler pivot assembly (not part of lift but wanted it to be stronger). I also want to do some cleaning and painting in there while it's all apart and I can get to it.

Still a lot of work to be done, but I want a clean & long lasting install.

I've got to pick up some new dust shields and clean up the old hubs, along with anything else I have out that is going to be re-installed. Hoping to finish up everything over the next few days after I get out of work.

We had a good time though. No show-stoppers.

Just read that it would be smart to beef up the steering support. I cleaned the frame a bit today where I need to weld. I want to stay clear of any hoses/transmission lines. Hope to have the brace in tonight and steering assembly removed.

Glad to hear your opinion of it.

I need to toss in some cognito tie-rods when I can swing it.

I've been busy last couple of days but getting out there tonight to work.

ORDERED
- Replacement Brake Dust Shields
- Replacement front wheel hub seals
- Premium Wheel Hub Assemblies for the front

I figured it was going to take me several more days to complete the lift, since I am doing a lot of other things along the way.
Might as well replace parts as I go. Should come out great... just taking my sweet time.

41CCw5CZnjL_zps98ff69b9.jpg

Last edited:
dude your truck is going to be sick!!!! everything is going to be done the correct way the first time !!

does the lift come with traction bars ?

dude your truck is going to be sick!!!! everything is going to be done the correct way the first time !!

does the lift come with traction bars ?

No it doesn't. I am shopping them soon + I need a new diff cover. Just trying to piece it together.
It will take me a lot longer.. waiting for parts .. but I can work on other things while I wait.

She'll be solid for sure.

Last edited:
I was sold when you first mentioned them Bryan. :shake: Soon as I looked at them...
Thanks again! It's going to take a little longer to put it all back together though.
Rims might actually arrive before it's all painted and re-assembled.

:somuchwin:

Progress:
Super-Dee-Duper Idler
IMG_20140827_174709664_HDR_zpsgywraujs.jpg

This evening I removed the steering stabilizer, and the rack from the idler / pitman.

Comparison : None
IMG_20140827_183319155_zpsjrjgnton.jpg

Unblolted the whole idler assembly, moved the coolant lines and buffed an area of metal clear where I could weld my gusset.
IMG_20140827_185739674_HDR_zpsu71qzskc.jpg

I got the gusset welded in. It's not perfect, and ended up being a messy weld since I was working over my head, laying on my side.
Pretty good penetration at a few points so I am hoping she will hold. Hit a couple of soft spots after my first grind. I did read where a lot of people are not even experiencing an issue, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Either way it will probably hold some of the flexing.

Tomorrow I will grind and cleanup the area, and then prep and paint before installing the heavy duty idler.