ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

We got stuck on ball joints & stopped when struggling with the torsion bar keys.
I need to purchase a few things that fit this truck before we continue.

A good Ball Joint Seperator
Ball Joint Seperator

A good Ball Joint Press
Ball Joint Press

Bought a couple of new lower ball joints and will need to re-install them this week.

Working on a solution for the torsion bars / keys.
I knew they were going to be a bitch. The 2500 frame is in a lot better shape than the ol' 1500,
but it seems the keys are are still stuck on there in good shape, even after soaking them.

No1Limit / Connor was very patient.. I really appreciated his help today.

Last edited:
It's tough to hammer the t-bars forward with them stuck in both the lca and they keys,
so we started hammering them backwards to free them up a little.

Also it is tight quarters on the 2500 with a crossmember just behind the keys.
I might need to remove the exhaust, jack the tbar cross member up and push the whole thing backwards.

Anyway, I'll keep at it this week. No hurry I suppose.

check out how these guys got them out seemed like a bitch. this video made me bring my truck away to do leveling kit....

Last edited by a moderator:
That was at least a little, I've done keys on 6-7 trucks now and 2 hits with a punch/hammer and they pop out. Plus there's lots of rust up under the truck, that xmember looks terrible.

yeah my undercarriage is actually great.. but that doesn't mean a little salt n corrosion didn't get up in there. We did get the passenger side torsion bar moved inside the lca, if i can get the drivers side moving I'll remove the entire assembly.

Last edited:
Connor and I picked up the stake on the left. It's just long enough to reach the right t-bar key over the cross member just to the rear of the t-bar cross member.

Digging through the back shed, I just found the longer steel stake.. it fits perfectly through a small gap near the edge of the fuel cooler!
I'll be hitting that next.

IMG_20140819_185110534_zps8re2z4nn.jpg

Right Key + bar is out. 4lb hammer worked well. It's also been soaking in Kroil for a couple of days.
IMG_20140819_184333887_zpsh4shxzld.jpg

bump stop is also toast in the pic.

Last edited:
:ejecto:

IMG_20140819_195256484_zpsk30obbap.jpg

:thefinger:

Took about 15-20 hits from the 4lb and maybe 7-8 very solid hits with the 16lb sledgehammer. Much better.
More leverage and a floor jack holding everything still really helped.

I remembered that I have a rough country leveling kit on my 1500 frame. Should I pull the keys (they are new) off that and slap them back on the 2500?
Sounds like a plan to me.

Last edited:
Nope, can't do that. They'll be too indexed, you'll never get 'em loaded. Stock 1500 keys are the equivalent to lift keys in a 2500.

Thanks. I guess I will just clean up the stock 2500's.

Just finished an inventory of the lift parts, and planning out the next steps.
I'll finish removing the spindles after I get my front end maintenance kit in that I ordered.