ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

looks good, that front end is how it should look from the factory.
still the stock exhaust?

Yep. Just the downpipe so far.

This week will be inspection sticker, foglights getting reinstalled and then I will tackle the new exhaust.

Brought it to work today. Smile on my face. Looks like it's fresh off the assembly line.

Last edited:
Yep Lowes and Home Depot have it along with automotive shops.

I don't know how much of a project you have but you could start out with a pint or a quart to try it.

- grind to metal and degrease/metal prep or just de-scale. I will be using naval jelly on the rear of my frame for tougher spots.
- Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer - brush it on and let it sit for 24hrs. (I've read people using this on wood, clean metal, rusty metal etc etc it sticks to everything)
- Rustoleum Satin or Gloss Topcoat. Let THAT sit for 24hrs unless using a hardener / spraying.

It does get a little squishy if you spray it over the GM waxy coating, but sticks so far. I am going to hit it with the pressure washer this week and see how it's holding up. That's the only drawback... take a long time to cure... but it creates a very cool coating that will keep everything out.

I did slather some "Chassis Saver" on my rusty 1500 frame. It creates a nice coating / shell.
I bet it would work well.. and it dries faster. I am not in a big hurry though... I tend to take my time.

Update : Got my inspection sticker today. Will plan time for exhaust install now. Hopefully do the fog lights tonight.

Last edited:
Fog lights are installed, just working on possible integration into the factory toggle for plow lights, maybe the the LED's can come on with parking lights.

Also going to take some "Finished Phase I" photos this weekend so I can look back and enjoy the process.
Then I can start moving forward with phase II - lift, tires, rims, tune, frame clean and paint and a few other mods.

I'm thinking 35's & -25 offset much like my old Ultra stance in my sig. Maybe a bit more.

I could always just lower and level the rear, then put some street fatties all the way around.

Na, a lift should look great. It's looking more like that Cognito 7"-9" might be a good choice.

I'm thinking 35's & -25 offset much like my old Ultra stance in my sig. Maybe a bit more.

I could always just lower and level the rear, then put some street fatties all the way around.

Na, a lift should look great. It's looking more like that Cognito 7"-9" might be a good choice.
Lower level and street fatties ftw

just saying if you go 37's you will want to re-gear

i think you could easily pull off 22x14's with 35's and a 7-9" cognito just don't crank it up too 9"

What are these street fatties you speak of?
Fat street / pro street tires & rims?
Something like this
Wide tires, negative offset, maybe a really wide AT style. I saw a couple on Youtube while watching a few lbz's at the strip.

just saying if you go 37's you will want to re-gear

i think you could easily pull off 22x14's with 35's and a 7-9" cognito just don't crank it up too 9"

LBZ w/ 4.10 will have no problem turning a 35 IMO. It's probably night and day between my old vortec 4.3L turning 33's w/ 3.73's. Even that was fine for highway cruising and getting around town. 7" sounds as far as I would go. I could probably do a 4-6" just fine, but x12's x14's might give me some trouble.

This will eventually be a Sunday driver and garaged most of the time. So just trying to make it interesting & fun when pulled out for a ride.

Last edited: