ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

I was going to cut them out of aluminum...however I stumbled across some small engine mounts that have a rubber bushing and aluminum caps.. That might work too. Hitting it hard after work tonight.. Going to be a nice weekend.

Just playing around with photochop. Looking for tire+rim combos.
Nothing great yet.

silvergrabber_zps4d4ef331.jpg

Blackrimsgrabber_zpsa6ed5bd9.jpg

lol ;)
smallrimsgrabber_zpsfdbb1975.jpg

Na nevermind, prolly just delete this post. Just better off looking at them online... too much like work to photochop everything.

My original choice was machined 20x10 methods 8 bolt.. But Im still not certain ..same goes for the grabbers.. still need to grow on me. I'm still working on funding anyway. Even if I get all the parts, it takes a while to get it all bolted on. Especially with my frame cleaning / painting plans.

Good news is I think I'll have funding to finish the truck and add a few go fast parts real soon. Err..I hope.

Last edited:
Products I am using on the parts I remove.
output_zpsom9wzye6.jpg

Removed brackets off the upper/lower bumper. Ground rust.
IMG_20140628_114035158_zpsxplkn6dc.jpg

Cut inner brackets and deburred.
IMG_20140628_152051495_zpseufntczg.jpg

Soap n water, degreased, Metal primer, Brushed on that Safety Red. :thumbsup:
IMG_20140628_164925545_zpsc2sfg0x0.jpg

Frame is pretty good on truck but I ground down some of the edges on the front of the frame. I really wanted to test out this new rusty metal primer and it's adhesion to metal, surface rust and that sticky GM undercoating.
IMG_20140628_174308276_HDR_zpslik4hr1u.jpg

Yes it goes on brown in color. I plan on doing a gloss black over it.
IMG_20140628_174317263_HDR_zpsnhnxouyj.jpg

Notes:

I am really liking these Rustoleum product(s). It goes on with a brush or roller about as thick as a house paint.
You can thin it with straight acetone and spray it if you want to, but it is messy. WEAR GLOVES.. I got this on my hands, and it's just nasty to get off. Its very sticky and sticks to everything. Once you mop it on, it oozes and smooths out a lot. Buy a lot of cheap brushes. I went through 2 with the small areas I did. No point in cleaning them afterwards if they are el cheapo.

Also note that it takes a long time to dry. 4-6hrs just to handle it and a good 24hrs for another coat.
I'll probably end up top coating the front of the frame a bit earlier then that... maybe 16-18hrs. I want to get that bumper back on tomorrow night, so the top coat will be safe to work around by that time.

I plan on pulling the bed off later this summer and using the same products for entire back half of truck. I want to keep my frame in good shape, and this stuff should do a good job sealing it in. We'll see.

Note #2 I also have "Chassis Saver" that I am willing to give a go. Maybe on my springs, or something with a little more surface rust. That way I can compare it. Painting in stages is labor intensive for sure.

Last edited:
This bumper mod is taking forever. Dissembled the upper / lower bumper.
Taped off section to paint. I noticed just a slight hint of corrosion and decided to treat it.
Water probably sits under the bumper plastic cap.

IMG_20140628_193927450_HDR_zpsx8sfm9oy.jpg

Had to grind all the rust and corrosion down.
IMG_20140628_195809292_zpsmlhrelsr.jpg

Just de-greased and sprayed with some acetone. Ready to seal the insides and outer lip.
IMG_20140628_203023967_zpsnguinca7.jpg

Let it dry overnight. Will apply topcoat tomorrow with the other parts.
IMG_20140628_211755818_zpslzqxmhzh.jpg

Long day working on little things..

Last edited:
Color match bumper brackets, nice! Looks like a cencal build lol

Safety Red is slightly brighter but very close to Victory Red. Looks great - perfect for brackets & misc parts underneath. This stuff is gooey and thick. Makes a nice seal around the part. I figured "why not" instead of doing everything in gloss black.
It's still well protected though.

Not quite Cencal lol.

I have to wait another day for the paint to finish curing. Put the bumper cap on to see how it looks.
IMG_20140629_202207237_zpsayoic6wd.jpg

You can barely notice the coating unless you are looking for it. Hopefully it prevents that nasty corrosion.
I'll clean up the lines and edges but not much to do, and all of the edges sit behind the grill and lower bumper.
IMG_20140629_202126942_zps1hrjpgup.jpg

So tomorrow night I will reassemble the bumper finally, and see if i can complete the bumper mod which was the original goal here.
Got my new stainless bolts (12x1.75 @ 80mm) [EDIT : Changed to 90mm], washers and spacers ready to go.
IMG_20140629_195158444_zpswkzasybi.jpg

Last edited: