ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

I was thinking about the hood.. read a few posts. I might just make the cut and get the edge a bit over what I need. MIG a strip of leftover metal to the bottom edge, pool the seam and then grind it down to create a lip.

Probably more or less what your guy did. Mine will probably look like :ayh:

Worst case is I get another hood and try again. lol
It's nice having a target date for paint job though. Forces me to address the hood mod.

Last edited:
Back porch.

IMG_20140604_140651_zps0zllukwr.jpg

So much. So wow.
:doge:

dem hoods be hard to find lol
Yes, I owe Connor [No1Limit] for that one. $100 hood and he found it on Craiglist.

Last edited:
When I did mine I just made the cut to fit how I wanted. Then took the piece I cut off and welded it in to fill the hole left in the back. Mine has a smooth welded edge, no folding or sema like stock, but it's plenty strong since that whole edge is now weld.

Nice back porch!

Lol not really James, but thank! It's ok. I own a multi-family building, so it an get a little messy back there at times.
We are doing a porch renovation and new garage roof + extension next month (I hope) so it will be a bit more "modern"
What's cool is that the ups/ fed ex drivers will cart this stuff up my driveway to the back of the building and put it inside here.. vs. leaving it on my front deck!

Last edited:
You're lucky, even if I put it in the comments/instructions section they always leave it right out front. That's why I ship everything to work now

Sent from TapaTwat

Lol not really James, but thank! It's ok. I own a multi-family building, so it an get a little messy back there at times.
We are doing a porch renovation and new garage roof + extension next month (I hope) so it will be a bit more "modern"
What's cool is that the ups/ fed ex drivers will cart this stuff up my driveway to the back of the building and put it inside here.. vs. leaving it on my front deck!

I think he meant nice back porch in terms of whats on it :hurumph:

2500/3500HD 'common' lift instructions

As I was reading through these, I decided to link them here just in case anyone reading the thread needed them.

6" Rough Country Lift install instructions

Mcgaughys 7" lift install instructions

BDS 7" Lift install instructions

6" Zone Lift install instructions

7-9" Cognito lift install instructions

Fabtech 6" RTS lift install instructions

Skyjacker 6" lift install instructions

I'll find a few more and update as I read through them. Just looking for the 'least invasive' lift.
Maybe a non-torsion drop?

Last edited:
The only way you aren't going to have to cut anything is with a 7" or bigger lift because when you lower the diff down the frame is in the way. I believe all lifts have you remove the rear crossmember and cut off the curved piece it bolts too. Then the shorter lifts also have you remove the front/top munting ear on the differential and bolt on a new one because of the steering. Only 7" and taller lifts allow the diff to remain intact

The only way you aren't going to have to cut anything is with a 7" or bigger lift because when you lower the diff down the frame is in the way. I believe all lifts have you remove the rear crossmember and cut off the curved piece it bolts too. Then the shorter lifts also have you remove the front/top munting ear on the differential and bolt on a new one because of the steering. Only 7" and taller lifts allow the diff to remain intact

Yep looks like will need to cut it away to allow the diff to drop.

Just my .2 cents I love my cognito. If I wasn't doing the sas and was going with a bigger ifs I would go with cognito again. Install was easy, great angles, rode great, had to kit one of the bracket and shave down the front diff bolt mount.

my ups guy loves me, the one day it was gonna rain and he had 6 boxes of t shirts for me. he brought them to my work, so they can be kept inside and not get rained on, he also put my stuff on my sidewalk to my back door.

the cognito kit is the best IMO but you gotta pay for it.

i have their pitman and idler arm supports on my truck. i want to get thier upper control arms, prolly when i need a balljoint ill do them.

I'll probably land somewhere in the middle for lift cost.
I don't want a show quality lift. It would get chewed alive up here.

Appreciate the feedback. Can't really go wrong with all the ones people have mentioned.