ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

It is. I wasn't even aware they had a digital switch like that, that's really cool. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of deezols will come in and make some recommendations, Cornell, get in here plz.

hey check out Zone offroad lifts, they are owned by BDS and FOX and are the budget lift that rivals RCX. I personally wouldnt get too carried away with powder and such if you are gona drive it in winter because from anything i hear it doesnt hold up well. i know my lift is frigged from 4 winters.

hey check out Zone offroad lifts, they are owned by BDS and FOX and are the budget lift that rivals RCX. I personally wouldnt get too carried away with powder and such if you are gona drive it in winter because from anything i hear it doesnt hold up well. i know my lift is frigged from 4 winters.

I hear ya. Everything will probably end up slathered in rust-prevention and paint lol. I don't know if I am going to run it much in the winter.
Those Zone lifts are cost competitive with RCX for sure. It's hard to shy away from spending $200 more though on the 7" lift I posted.

It is. I wasn't even aware they had a digital switch like that, that's really cool. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of deezols will come in and make some recommendations, Cornell, get in here plz.

I think I might do an Edge Insight for all of the digital monitoring and get a cool switch for swapping tunes like the one I posted.

Trying different products out right now actually! My old frame is a perfect test.

method #1 (more labor)
-Angle Grinder used to take it down to bare metal. If it's a rusty spot, I make certain to extend past the spot.
-Using Naval Jelly (Henkel / Loctite) rust dissolver .. . this is some good stuff, especially if you let it sit overnight. Pressure wash it off.
-Hit everything with a degreaser / cleaner and let it dry.
-Epoxy Primer
-High performance protective enamel finish (primer and paint are both rustoleum products)

Method #2 : Other side of frame
-Angle Grinder w/ Wire brush bit but not bare metal (did you see that frame? no metal to be found :facepalm:
-Power wash / degreaser and let dry
-paint with Chasis Saver optional top coat with rustoleum / chasis paint.

I think method #1 will get me some good results after reading some very opinionated restoration threads on other forums.
If I find something better I will go that route but I think I am in good shape with my new frame.

im hoping the 3 step sample pack from KBS coatings will work well on my 10bolt, hoping to do that and put my maghytec on this summer when i change the fluid.

im hoping the 3 step sample pack from KBS coatings will work well on my 10bolt, hoping to do that and put my maghytec on this summer when i change the fluid.

Share some pics / results! I know it may be a while, but it will be interesting.
I plan on doing the same, time permitting.

Edge Products| Product

Edge Products| Product
those are what you need i think, don't get the edge with tunes on it, just get it for the gauges.
and where do i get one of those digital DSP5 switches!!!! they are sweet !!!
and also in for frame resto results

Yeah the Edge insight CTS is display only for gauges, and I think the way for me to go. No tunes. I am leaning towards EFI Live, but may get custom tunes as suggested above. Looking into that DSP5 switch or something trick like that.

personally, i would get EFI live, and have corny send you a tune. he is really good with the stock/slightly moded trucks.
for a lift, i would not get a FTS they are big and ugly, RCX, or personal favorite Cognito.

I'll take a look at Cognito after work. I am not an FTS fan, but I know a lot of people love them. RCX is ok, requires a little trimming but pretty easy to install. Quality of the lift, and wear & tear on my other components is important to me. I probably don't need anything over 6-7".

Last edited:
btw the best way to clean the frame, but some aircraft paint stripper, i got a gallon of it. brush it on the frame, let it soak, then use a scrapper, scrap most of it away, then use a pressure washer to blast the rest off, if anything else is there a wire wheel makes quick work of it.

then brakeclean or degrease. then prime and paint.

i did just paint with no issues. just brushed it on

btw the best way to clean the frame, but some aircraft paint stripper, i got a gallon of it. brush it on the frame, let it soak, then use a scrapper, scrap most of it away, then use a pressure washer to blast the rest off, if anything else is there a wire wheel makes quick work of it.

then brakeclean or degrease. then prime and paint.

i did just paint with no issues. just brushed it on

what does the air craft stripper do against rust ?

it wont fully remove it, but it does eat some away, depending on how bad the rust is, you may need to wire wheel it some, thats why i said a wire wheel for what it doesnt get.

just never would have thought that it would eat away at the rust....might have to try this :shake:

Visited two more paint shops and negotiated with my final shop selection!

My job - I'll remove most of front end, mirrors, door handles, roof lights and a few other things + do some prep work.
(There are some hard to reach places I'll have to get to, like upper inside fenders of bed, etc.)

Their Job -They will sand, metal prep, remove moldings + tape anything needed. Prime, Base and Clear it. Extra clear coat for good measure.
I basically have a week and a half to see if I can bang out that HD hood mod and do the prep work. Getting it painted the week of the 16th.

$1800 bucks. Probably would have been almost double if I had dings, dents and they had to do all the prep.
They said the truck is in really good shape and should come out real nice considering it has a great base to work with.

:success: