ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

Removed passenger side fender on 1500.
Will swap when I do the downpipe install.
IMG_20140601_175817_183_zpskplgh7he.jpg

It needs a little cleanup where it meets the cab but looks to be in good shape.
I'll sand it down, treat it and prime a few spots before installation.

Also reviewing a few threads on HD hood mod.

Todays tasks

- MBRP Duramax Regular Cab Adapter Pipe was backordered at least 4 weeks out.
Doing a quick search to see if anyone has one on the shelf. Part # GMS9423
[By the way XDP told me they don't have a 5" exhaust for Reg cab or adapter even if I wanted to go 5"]

- Making appointments to a couple of body shops for quotes this week.
My timeframe is to have it painted by the end of June. I'll do some of the prep work to save $.

-I'd like to get my frame rust cleaned and treated and sealed before I lift, but I may order lift by end of the week.
No decision on wheels yet.

- Someone gave me an offer on my old wheels + tires for $1200. Low.. :\

prolly gonna be around 3500-4k for a complete repaint

BINGO. Portland Collision $3.2-4K
But they sounded reluctant to do it.. not sure what the deal is.
They had to 'warn' me up front.

They are very close to my house, so it would be easy to unbolt a lot of stuff and get it over there almost ready to paint.

Headed to an auto body shop I've used before next.

Well I only did it to preserve as much as my existing RCLB + Do a diesel conversion all in one shot. I would have LOVED to do a 4BTA conversion but I just wanted to get a good rolling truck first.

However I will say now that I am stripping down my old rusty frame, I think I will hang onto it for a while. Maybe practice my fab / welding skills slowly on it for a hobby. If I come into some money, it may turn into a lowered rcsb. But I have a pretty tight budget like most of you!

I am bolting all my old HD parts onto it at the moment instead of selling them for pennies on the dollar.

What I would really need is a good sandblasting unit and a place to make a real mess.

Last edited:
-Going to Moody's tomorrow during lunch break to get a new paint quote.

-Downpipe and exhaust arrive tomorrow. Adapter probably beginning of next week.
Nice to see some stuff rolling in. I might just install downpipe and do my fender swap this week.
Do the exhaust later.

-Still waiting on Supplies to roll in for cleaning the frame. Going to rain next few days anyway.

-I'm waiting until the last minute to go get that 'Maine Inspection Stickah'. I live in Portland (Cumberland County)
and they do emissions testing here. :down:

-And I just got a call this evening. Think I sold these for $1600 :down: oh well. going to meet the guy over here tomorrow for pickup.
IMG_20140603_174336_873_zps8q85qx4_edit_1401843916105_zps0qkasug8.jpg

Last edited:
I'd personally go EFI Live with DSP5 for the tuning, but that's just me.

And plz get 7" FTS with so mash powder and chrome, like Jared's old RCLB:

DSC00375.jpg

That 7" I posted is powder coated silver. I was also looking at BDS systems too for around 2K.
Installation isn't too bad, but the cutting & welding would be very hard to reverse if I ever took it off again.
But would I ever seriously consider doing that? :beer:

Oh and
I'd personally go EFI Live with DSP5 for the tuning, but that's just me....

how about this?
DSP5 simple interface
You are not into all of the gadgetry and heads up displays?

Last edited:
That digital switch is badass, if I had a Derpamax I'd definitely have one of those.

And I'm absolutely into gadgetry and all of that. I'd probably run a Edge Insight or just a 3 pillar pod/overhead console pod.