ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

Updates : purchased a 2500HD, originally a cab and chassis. It still has a Reading Utility Body on it in real good shape except for a dent in the fender. Hauled it back to Maine on Monday. Frame has just a few spots of wear / surface rust, but the rest of it is clean which was my primary reason for selecting it.

I've got the 1500 in my garage and just waiting to unload this utility body first. I have a couple of commercial truck companies near me, and have contacted them. Hoping that they will want to buy the utility body and just lift it off the frame for me, otherwise it will be sitting in my yard while I sell it on Ebay/Craigslist. I guess it's worth some cash, just a hassle to deal with.

I'll get some pictures after I get it stripped down and should be able to build a complete truck out of both trucks without purchasing more gear to do it. It should be a nice finished product once the truck merge is complete vs. what seemed to be a hopeless frame repair on the 1500. I just couldn't see me spending the summer trying to save a frame that was rotting from the inside out. Some of the welding is beyond my capabilities and could be a safety issue. That was unacceptable.

Much of my plans remain the same, except now I won't need to do the diesel swap! I figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone. I'll be re-using as much as possible from the 1500. I'll also take some snaps of the 1500 frame when it's stripped..
it's amazing how deteriorated it is for 10 years even though it led a pretty easy life.

Sold my RCX 6" lift a couple of days ago.

Trying to figure out a plan for the Ultra Predators + Terra Graps w/ 1500 miles on them :eek:

Hope it's ok to continue with this existing thread?

i am sure a admin can rename the thread 1500/2500hd ...

the plans sounds good. is this the 2006 frame and engine ? make sure you throw up some pics of the new frame and the progress when you get a chance.

i am exited for this build!!

Derpamax - so it's the LBZ w/ 6 Speed. I'll have a complete list of 'needs' in a few days, but shouldn't be too bad.

I looked at 5-6 1500's but then realized by the time I finished putting everything together, I'd be more-or-less right back where I started. The wrecked trucks came with their own issues, and made me uneasy looking at frame damage or other potential headaches that could spring up. .. I looked at one salvaged truck but same deal, unknown what was done to it and still pricey for what they needed for it.

So I ended up buying this cab and chassis truck from a dealer in Connecticut. It only had one owner and it was used for a business there.
All of its service records are with it and it was professionally maintained.

1 step at a time though, right? Waiting on callback for utility body. Also thinking about changes needed to body/bed mounts, bumper brackets or any welding I may need to do. It has 133" wheelbase, but not certain if the frame needs to be chopped yet. Of course all of this will need to be completed before the frame is treated and painted / undercoated.

Last edited:
Is the duramax a single cab as well? If it is then everything should fit and match up fine.

You going to buy another lift kit or just level the 2500?

No, I don't tow anything. I have a small trailer for a lawn mower / utility work etc.
Good call on the adapters. I'll look into it when the time comes. It will be a bit before I have to deal with wheels/tires.
Although in the end it would be an excuse to get new rimz + 35's *cough* :hmm:

I will probably skip the leveling kit and lift it when the time comes. Skipping my labor + $220 for the leveling.
I didn't really like cranking up the t-bars on the 1500 all that much, although it looked good the front end was a little tight.

The Dmax is regular cab, and everything is the same as the 1500 only it's an SLE so it has a few more options than my basic W/T.
That also cancels out the work I started on making my Tow's functional -They plug right in and work without any mods.
Everything can be swapped or interchanged. The 2500 has the roof/marker lights and a few other things that come with that package. I've got to go over everything when I get more time and make a list of what 'stays' and what 'goes'

Last edited:
ooh and i suggest doing PCV reroute and EGR delete and down pipe while its just an engine on a frame would make life a lot easier, if funds allow it anyway