ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

the reg cab long bed, extended cab short bed, and crew cab 5'9" bed all use the same wheel base I believe, so you could potentially make your body sit on any of those frames, but crew frame would look weird. The cab will fit on an HD just fine too, all use the same cabs and cab mounts on reg cab that I know of. Fender flares will also work no matter what body you decide to use, again, they're all the same. The major difference of an HD truck is since the frame is 2" taller, the bumpers are mounted lower, that's why HDs have taller bumper caps, or the GMCs have the spacer on the bottom of the grille. But you can always raise up the bumper mounts too so it will still look like a 1500.

2500 crew cabs are different the floor in the back is different.

stick to a 1500. you should be able to find a RCLB that was a company truck with a beat to shit body easy, and just swap your stuff over, if your lucky the cab could be in better shape and just paint it red and then put the rest of your stuff on it.

I agree with Bryan in that it would probably be best to find another 1500.
I will stay away from crew cabs as I don't need to make it more difficult of a swap.
If I find an HD with Reg cab then I would probably be just fine as well.

Pulling the truck out of the shop tonight and driving it back home to le garage.

Might go look at a 2006 complete frame, engine, drivetrain etc this weekend!
its 2500 w/ 6.6 TD. I know... I'd lose my rims.. and the new lift kit that just arrived today...
but the rest of my parts could easily transfer.

Waiting on detailed pics of the frame / undercarriage. No rust please...

Thank you.

I am still looking for frame replacements though.. should be able to build a complete truck again.
It would be great to breath new life into 'big red' but I'll move on if it ends up being a dead end.

only problem you may have is the electronics from the 2006 engine may not like your 2003 truck. idk all exactly about wiring for the duramax

6in Suspension Lift Kit for 99-06 Chevy / GMC 4wd 1500 Pickup [272N2] | Rough Country Suspension Systems

and here it is. I'll just leave it there for now I guess lol.

I will probably turn around and just sell it for a few bucks less. I am pretty sure it will sell easily.
lift_zpscc1070ae.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get it from a vendor Ryan? If so, I assume you got a pretty good deal on it, I bet you could price gouge some idiot on Craigslist.

Did you get it from a vendor Ryan? If so, I assume you got a pretty good deal on it, I bet you could price gouge some idiot on Craigslist.

Yeah, got a pretty good deal. Not looking to price gouge anyone.. but if someone is in a hurry to get their hands on one. lol
I won't let it go until I am absolutely changing over to non-1500 frame.

Going to look at a 2500HD Reg cab w/ Utility Body. The utility body is a Reading.

Shouldn't be any differences in wheelbase or frame than a 2500hd work truck w/ 8ft bed?
I think the service body is just added on aftermarket so unless they cut monuts (I doubt) it should swap right out.
I would have to install a bumper bracket and rear bumper again.. wiring for lights etc.

If so, I may have found a good donor vehicle.

Last edited:
it shouldn't be different my brothers work orders them, and gets custom made utility boxes for them .....so i doubt the factory would go through the effort of making them different

I did some looking into the Reading service boxes .. I can actually get a pretty penny for it if it is aluminum...
but yeah they have 'welded girders' on the bottom of the box, so I suspect they work like a giant ubolt, and clasp the frame.

Damn shame I may have to lose the wheels and tires, lift kit.. but everything else should transfer over.