ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

I won't have any issues with strength.. but appearance that's a different story.
More cleanup will be needed for sure lol.

I just wish I could get back to business instead of screwing around with other issues.

I guess I could do some of that tonight? You mean adjusting my suspension and getting everything set where I want before the alignment? (which I need to schedule)

I have all the gear for the fog lights just had to re-order the actual lights.. they were the wrong model.
I'll install the new headlights, markers and grill tonight or tomorrow after I fix my garage issues. :slug:

Sweet! I'm doing that tomorrow morning man!

I took your advice and made the most of my situation. Cranked my keys down a bit and measured it until it was about even on both sides. I came down almost 1/2" on the left front and just a 1/2 turn on the right. Much better.

I ran my generator to an overhead light and went to town.

8_zps3b38358a.jpg

All removed
9_zps9d91e9f8.jpg

There was surprisingly little to any rust inside engine compartment. Very clean except for the lower front cross-member and the exposed portions of the frame around the skid. I removed that as well and started grinding down the rust. I was very pleased to see how quickly I could get it down to shiny metal in some areas. Others are going to need more attention. Might as well do it right.

Edit : I spent several hours this morning grinding rust and spraying multiple coats of Permatex rust converter on the sanded areas. Didn't come out too bad. I'll go back over everything when the motor is out and make sure it's holding up and top coat it with chassis paint.

Last edited:
Old front bumper, so sexy it's hard to contain myself.
12_zpsb021d442.jpg

Bumper mounting brackets. Ground them down, hit them with Permatex and then primed them after they had dried in sun. Came out great. I'll slather on a black topcoat / chassis paint when I get everything into place.
13_zps6dd3e97c.jpg

133_zps65c1c775.jpg

135_zps7fe07546.jpg

Hardware bolted back onto the new bumper.
14_zps7a4c7a65.jpg

Getting everything into place and lined up. New headlights (drivers side needs adjustment) and markers, replaced the bulbs, grill, and bumper... misc hardware etc.
15_zpsef2796e1.jpg

16_zps5d4efd30.jpg

18_zpsbd5023d2.jpg

19_zps127414f8.jpg

And a shot from the nose.
17_zps379c1da8.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the links! I'll check it out this evening after the football crowd leaves.

Not working on truck much today..
I've gotta buy all the materials to run 2 new conduits under my driveway to get more power to my garage.
Winter is fast approaching so I shop stop procrastinating. I knew it needed to be done when I bought this place but I put it off over the summer :uhoh: