ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

Yeah maybe I can buy it locally. It would save me some fab time. I can mig it in pretty quick. The other cross member just needs the mounts cut out and re plated. I can probably do the whole job in a weekend... but as you know, as soon as I get in there I will spot something else that needs attention and the job will take 10x as long as planned. :uhoh:

I could also use some tail lights. Just something different and a bit more modern.

Just grab a set of black border 05-06 silvy tails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You like the silverado tails better than any aftermarkets?

Also a note on my exhaust.. I know I wont be keeping it when I do my motor swap,
but I will cut it to improve looks. Should I just cut it after the hanger on the muffler under the bed i.e. bed dump?
I don't think it's illegal here although might be a pain to access for emissions.

Just hack off the part of the tail pipe that sticks out below the bed.

And candied gmc tails look the best :imo: but I am also biased towards them haha

imo gmc's look good on lowered trucks and silvy's look good on lifted trucks.

Candy_tails_005.jpg

tail_light.jpg

I think candied GMC would look good with victory red.

Thank you for suggestions men.

I will not be driving with them this winter. If I did, I would dip them for protection.
I know there is an anti-dipping crowd around here... but it truly is useful in a harsh environment.

I'll run my old tires with some crap rims for a few months. lol I still have some time left to enjoy them though :)

Winter is not kind to anything up here.

Last edited:
MIG died. I've had it repaired once. Time for a new one which are so much more compact now.
Yay for more garage space. Boo for $$$ out the door.

Probably grab a Lincoln 140amp (like a sp-140t). It doesn't require 220v but still packs a lot of punch.

Also ordering the "Right" Fog lights and returning the ones I received.

sucks when stuff breaks, but new tools are the best !!! i have a little 120V MIG and its freaken awesome!! that's what i used on the back section of my dads air-stream trailer....do you use gas when welding like argon or you use flux-core wire ?

I use flux core. A bit more messy but it does the job. I might go with a Power Mig 140C instead.. a little more money but more voltage control.
These little (actually 70lbs) babies can do some amazing stuff.

Do you have tap control or continuous? (tap is like 4 settings I think)

Yes, 220 is pretty sick and can do the job pretty damn fast. I will use the money I save and buy a new engine stand / hoist.

Last edited:
Finished calipers tonight. Not as good as a full removal, sandblast and paint but it will do for now. Not too ricer at least.

Received lower bumper today now she needs paint. I'll probably spray it and my mirrors together so I have some prep work to do.

iIn the meantime, I need to solve some garage problems (heat + MORE power) so I can continue the project inside. Getting a little chilly!
Something is wrong with the power running out to my garage, so need to solve that first. Might have something to do with my mig failure, but I do not want to take any chances.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a new Lincoln 240V 180Amp mig .. I think it can do up to 1/2" steel multi-pass (way more than I need)
Also got some new .035 nozzles and and fluxed core to match. The The lincoln 140c was out of stock. Going to pick it up tonight.

Oh well - No hurry though because I have not solved my power issues :(

Last edited:
Yeah I know. You're a big gas fan eh? It is clean for sure... not to mention I plan on doing this inside, so it would probably work really well as opposed to doing it in the driveway with a breeze.

Last edited: