ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

Fitment tests - When I was searching the interwebs, I had a hard time finding some pictures. People would say they needed to do a lot of trimming or a little trimming, cutting some plastic, cutting some metal etc.

Here are some sample pics of a -25 Offset on 20x10 rims with leveling kit - 305/55/R20's (33.2")
ResizedImage_1382794457228_zps839b8fc5.jpg

ResizedImage_1382794482714_zps2f91598e.jpg

Just about Full Lock - spacing is about 1/4"-3/8" in back
IMG_20131026_093119_171_zps5ba3e34f.jpg

ResizedImage_1382794387707_zps15260064.jpg

1/2 Turn on the wheel will show that front lower bumper will require small amount of trimming.
ResizedImage_1382794507163_zps5d6ba69a.jpg

I made my cut about 1.5" up from the edge and made a subtle 4" arc to the inside edge. You can just cut a triangle if you wish. My dremel did it easily. I edged the path with masking tape. **Edit : After testing it forward / reverse while needing suspension travel I increased it to 2.25" from bottom edge.
IMG_20131026_093010_179_zps12b77718.jpg

*Use WIDE masking tape and a couple of layers if you do not have a steady hand. This will prevent you from scratching your painted lower bumper. I am still waiting on my new bumper so I will pre-cut it before painting & installation.

**Use your safety glasses whenever you are cutting ANYTHING.

Last edited:
can we get a shot from a little further away !! looks great though glad everything fit so nicely !!

After driving it forward and reverse and hitting a few bumps, I would suggest changing the trimming/cut from 1.5" from bottom edge to 2-2.25" up. Reverse will rub slightly @ 1.5 and thta's not counting any bumps or suspension flexing. If you are going off-road, then I would suggest going with a 1 - 1.5" BL to take the edge off. But for normal driving in the city, highway etc. you are fine. It's hardly noticeable unless you are laying under the truck and even then if you can cut a smooth arc it will still look great. The wells on the NBS are very deep and could accommodate a pretty big tire.

Last edited:
Here are a few shots with the wheels on.
3_zpsb2071d04.jpg

1_zps468a0acc.jpg

2_zps83f24ef4.jpg

4_zps30e52556.jpg

I'll do some *glamour* shots after all the front end is installed. Looks pretty good though. I am pleased with the offset, although it's aggressive (for Maine) and I will probably need flares.

I'll see how long I can get away with it first.:handjob:

Last edited:
That looks great! Some color matching would really set it off. I had the same gray lower valance on my truck. After I painted it, it changed the whole look of the truck.

Thanks guys! Yeah waiting on the new lower front bumper. I'll cut and paint it when it arrives.
The whole truck will get repainted in the spring, but I'll be grinding it down and roughing in a few spots here and there.

Today I am cleaning the rear calipers and grinding the corners of the quarter panels, then spraying them with VHT until I can sand and paint properly.

7_zpsa70160b9.jpg

Red Caliper Paint will be applied when these are cleaned up enough. The rest will be rust converted and black.
It's very rusty so I'll need new dust covers and other hardware as well :(
6_zpsafaa7b17.jpg

Ground down the quarters and sprayed with VHT to stop corrosion. Should hold until spring.
I'll probably hit it with another coat, primer and then some vic red touch up so it doesn't look so hideous.
I have quite a few spots like this on the bed and cab corners. Not terrible though. I have a little more to do on the side shown.
5_zps502f00b4.jpg

Last edited:
:sweetjesus: looks so good. Chop that tailpipe off just after the last hanger too, free mod that helps clean up the back

Just finished grinding down and painting rear calipers & re-installed them.
Polished up the edge of the rotor that is exposed.
I'll purchase new calipers at some point and do a pro job, but this will do for now.
Looks better than rust. Not high on the priority list.

Going to watch some football. Maybe I will go and do the front set tonight.

I am shopping online this morning, looking for a source for custom cross members.
Or is it better just to fab something out of steel for the rear cross member?
Just planning ahead... if I get everything into place, I might attempt it next weekend.
I need to do those repairs..

Yeah maybe I can buy it locally. It would save me some fab time. I can mig it in pretty quick. The other cross member just needs the mounts cut out and re plated. I can probably do the whole job in a weekend... but as you know, as soon as I get in there I will spot something else that needs attention and the job will take 10x as long as planned. :uhoh:

I could also use some tail lights. Just something different and a bit more modern.

Last edited: