00silvy's official 2000 Silverado Build thread

Picked up the motor last night. 75,000 miles, LQ4, complete, clean motor. $800. Had to drive and get it though, cost me around $950 including road trip (gas/food).

Trucks going under the knife next week!

Sucks about the travelling costs, but road trips can be fun so not a huge loss.

edit, just read the last page... also sucks you don't have time/budget to work on motor before swap....

Last edited:
Sucks about the travelling costs, but road trips can be fun so not a huge loss.

You gonna do anything to motor before it goes in? Cam/rod bolts/etc? I'd probably do the rear main too.

Motor isn't getting a cam right now. It will be getting new intake manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets & bolts, water pump, oil pressure sensor, AC & serp. belt, a bunch of pulleys, plugs/coils/wires. Gunna clean it up nice and drop it in.

Motor will come back out next summer, and I will do new, ported oil pump, timing chain, new knock sensors and a cam. No rod bolts or anything like that though, not opening up motor

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

What kind of cam would I need to make it sound like this? HNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bPwKvW_Lg4

A smog exempt cam lol.

A cutout will actually do wonders for the chop.
My truck sounds so much more badass with open headers LOL

Well I drove truck for the last time with the 5.3L, running like a POS. Took some photos as it was cleanish.

Got the LQ4 setup on the engine stand

And picked up an HD front clip for the truck

It looks good one those current tires. I'd sell those 37s and put $ towards motor stuff imo

Too small for my taste. Barely looks lifted. The 37's are just for a limited time, have fun with truck was up high. It will come back down, and run 35's on 20x10's in the summer.

I've been researching some parts for the truck/6L swap. For now, the motor is going in, and staying pretty much original until the winter is over (4 months or so). Then I plan on pulling the motor back out, and adding some maintenance parts, updated/performance parts and then some go fast chit.

As it sits, its a 2002 LQ4 with 75K miles. I am doing intake & exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts, water pump, 3 pulleys, both belts and plugs/coils/wires for now. Mated to stock 4L60E with I6 Trail blazer torque converter (2600-2800 RPM stall).

I am going to slowly start buying parts as money frees up, so it won't be such a huge drop of coin in the spring.

Plans so far are:

-Long Tube Headers W/ ORY (Texas Speed Stainless Steel 1 3/4" with 3" ORY seem well priced)
-3" E-cutout (Texas speed also sells, any other good quality pieces/well priced?)
-New high flow oil pump (vers OEM replacement & porting)
-LS2 timing setup
-new oil pan bolts & gasket
-Efans & 34" Rad
-TSP 228R/112LSA cam, push rods/valve springs. TSP sells a $600 kit for this. How do I know what length push rods I need?
-4L80E trans
-Trans cooler

Things to determine:

-Trans temp gauge: Can I buy a seperate gauge? Don't want to swap in a HD cluster, I have mine setup as wanted.
-NNBS intake manifold: How much work really goes into this swap? Can this be made to work with throttle by cable?
-8.1L fuel injectors: I`ve seen on Ptrucks that they are cheap to put in. What kind of gains do these do? More fuel, more power if tuned? Would it benifit anything with above setup?
-Stall converter: What RPM is best to go with? I do drive highway alot with the truck, and I don't want to loose its "streetable/road trip worythness of the truck. I need a stall that can be fun, but still functional (tow, etc...) 3000 too much? Yank has a 2600HD?

Last edited:
imo do what you want but id keep the 5.3 in there build the 6.0 throughout the winter and then put it in once lol seems like more work to pull and install twice

Things to determine:

-Trans temp gauge: Can I buy a seperate gauge? Don't want to swap in a HD cluster, I have mine setup as wanted.
Yes you can add a gauge, just make sure to tap a fitting into the pan on your new 4l80e before you install.

-NNBS intake manifold: How much work really goes into this swap? Can this be made to work with throttle by cable?
NNBS or TBSS intake mani will work. Not too hard of a swap. It can be made to be used on DBC fairly easy. Here is a pretty good how-to. TBSS Intake on 99-02 - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

-8.1L fuel injectors: I`ve seen on Ptrucks that they are cheap to put in. What kind of gains do these do? More fuel, more power if tuned? Would it benifit anything with above setup?
Bigger injectors probably won't be "needed'' with the setup you want. Once your 6.0l is in, ask Justin at BBP how much duty cycle your stock injectors are running. They might flow plenty. 42lb marine injectors will be more power IF your stock ones are maxed and there's still more on the table. You MUST be tuned for bigger injectors before you can run the motor.

-Stall converter: What RPM is best to go with? I do drive highway alot with the truck, and I don't want to loose its "streetable/road trip worythness of the truck. I need a stall that can be fun, but still functional (tow, etc...) 3000 too much? Yank has a 2600HD?
3000 is a good all around number. But you'll probably wanna go bigger. If you pull heavy loads regularly I'd stay around a 2600. If not, I'd 3000-3600.
Also, I'd have Pat G or someone spec you a cam instead of buying an off the shelf cam. It only costs $25 extra to have one spec'd. Just tell him your goals and he will set you up. He'll also recommend the appropriate stall converter size.

Things to determine:

Yes you can add a gauge, just make sure to tap a fitting into the pan on your new 4l80e before you install.

NNBS or TBSS intake mani will work. Not too hard of a swap. It can be made to be used on DBC fairly easy. Here is a pretty good how-to. TBSS Intake on 99-02 - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

Bigger injectors probably won't be "needed'' with the setup you want. Once your 6.0l is in, ask Justin at BBP how much duty cycle your stock injectors are running. They might flow plenty. 42lb marine injectors will be more power IF your stock ones are maxed and there's still more on the table. You MUST be tuned for bigger injectors before you can run the motor.

3000 is a good all around number. But you'll probably wanna go bigger. If you pull heavy loads regularly I'd stay around a 2600. If not, I'd 3000-3600.
Also, I'd have Pat G or someone spec you a cam instead of buying an off the shelf cam. It only costs $25 extra to have one spec'd. Just tell him your goals and he will set you up. He'll also recommend the appropriate stall converter size.

Lil fiesty is smarter than Kyle :lol::mynga:

Sent from Tapashit

Things to determine:

Joel, I see your know your stuff, Kyle must have taught you a thing or two :ilied:

But I'm assuming Pat G is someone who works at TSP?

And whats the difference from a lower to higher stall, other than stall speed? Wouldnt the higher RPM's just make the launch worse, for a regular street truck?

Lil fiesty is smarter than Kyle :lol::mynga:

Sent from Tapashit

Neer dat was me :bird:

Joel, I see your know your stuff, Kyle must have taught you a thing or two :ilied:

But I'm assuming Pat G is someone who works at TSP?

And whats the difference from a lower to higher stall, other than stall speed? Wouldnt the higher RPM's just make the launch worse, for a regular street truck?

No pat g doesn't work for tsp. I think he works for RPM. higher stall lets the trans slip into gear at a higher RPM, thus getting you closer to your "powerband." Kinda hard to explain them. I had a yank tt3000 and wish I had gotten a 3600 stall.

Neer dat was me :bird:

No pat g doesn't work for tsp. I think he works for RPM. higher stall lets the trans slip into gear at a higher RPM, thus getting you closer to your "powerband." Kinda hard to explain them. I had a yank tt3000 and wish I had gotten a 3600 stall.

Would a 3600 rpm stall still perform as usual, under normal town driving conditions? I think my tranny starts actually moving right around 1100-1200 rpm. IIRC that is in 2nd gear, 1st doesnt grab unless a certain % of petal is used?

Would a 3600 rpm stall still perform as usual, under normal town driving conditions? I think my tranny starts actually moving right around 1100-1200 rpm. IIRC that is in 2nd gear, 1st doesnt grab unless a certain % of petal is used?

No it won't perform normal. It'll be a lot different than stock. But that isn't a bad thing. 1st should always grab from a stop no matter throttle percent. Also when you shift with a bigger stall, the RPMs don't drop as much as they would with a stock stall speed converter.