00silvy's official 2000 Silverado Build thread

Ordered my Tune from BR Power Source. Sent my PCM in the mail today, He will get it tomorrow, and will be getting it back Friday.

About to head out the garage to clean up the engine bay real nice, and remove the alternator, serp. belt & fan off the LQ4. Didn't realize how tight of a fit it was in there. Going to put my new stall converter on tonight also.

If I get to it tonight, I may drop the motor in place, and bolt the flywheel to the torque converter. But that's only if I get everything else all cleaned up & painted in a timely manner.

Well I didn't work on it a ton today, had other stuff to do.

But I got the new torque converter filled and installed on the trans.

I also got the motor 100% prepped for dropping it into the truck. Got oil cooler block off plate installed, 3 bolt flywheel installed onto 6L motor (thanks to @FiestyZ71) And I got the knock sensor dams on and dry.

I also painted the manifolds, starter, oil dipstick & tranny dipstick tubes with black header paint.

And did a little bit of this today as well

I am going to pull my bed off and do fuel pump also. Probably friday night also!

I got a question in regards to greasing the driveshaft splines where the slip yoke slides into the transmission. People say to pack a good amount of grease on/in there to get rid of some of the slip yoke clunk. But there is always some trans fluid in there too. Isn't it bad for them to mix? Thoughts?

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

A cam, LT's, ORY, E-cutout, 4L80E & 2600rpm stall are high on the list.

I am going to make myself a heim steering setup, trac bars and a 4L80E crossmember over the winter, and start slowly compiling parts.

Once snow is gone, it will all be installed.

I hope to have 35" tires & 20x9's or 20x10's by then also.

I want my truck to sound something like in the vids below. I am going to place my E-cut out before the 1st muffler, so with cutout engaged, will be open headers.
Anyone know of a cam that can give me the rumble/lope of this ls motor?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDifBcxS4qY (750 rpm idle)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ergfd7E38&index=13&list=UUOF_q5JcTNpULkFJPJ_sdKQ (950 rpm idle)

Last edited:
Got the LQ4 set into truck today. All bell housing bolts in and tight, motor mounts bolted down. all hoses, and battery cables connected. passenger side manifold is bolted on. some connectors, connected. Flywheel bolts are finger tight, need someone to help hole flywheel with a crowbar while I tighten bolts, then starter can go on.

I had to cap off the line spout that Hydroboost goes onto. Wrapped electrical tape around a bolt, and clamped it down nice and tight.

Whats left (motor wise):

-Install drivers side exhaust manifold
-connect & tighten y-pipe to manifolds
-Install intake manifold and all hoses, connections, bolts, etc...
-Install throttle body (already cleaned up nice)
-install intake mani cover
-attach all coils
-zip tie everything up nice
-Install alternator, fan, fan shrouds, serp. belt
-install Rad, rad hoses and all cooler lines to rad
-install air intake
-Connect battery
-plug in PCM. Do a security relearn

Truck in geneal:

-Install rear driveshaft
-Install 5" rear block & new rear shocks
-Remove bed
-Replace fuel pump & filter
-adjust front coil overs 2", take 2 clicks of compression out of shocks
-vacuum & clean interior of truck
-Replace passenger side fog light ballast/ignitor
-Remove "1500" door badges, and put my "VortecMAX" badges on there
-re-install hood
-clean exterior of truck up a little

Any thoughts on adding grease to splines of slip yoke on rear driveshaft??

not sure if you done with tuning yet ?

but here is a thread.

http://customgm.com/tuning/5504-br-power-source.html

he told my buddy that his spark knock was normal and had to run high octane fuel.

my buddy told him to turn the tune down a touch to make it that he could run regular fuel, but Berny also said he would charge $100.00 to re-tune it.

Tune is already done from BR, awesome guy to deal with. Even is delivering my computer! and He's tuning it for 87 octane

No longer have the 37's :bird:

I do however have the 5" block, and adjusted up my coil overs. Fenders now @ 43 3/4" F, 42 7/8" R. Still on the 285/55/20 Trails. Going to crank down the front to be around 43.25".

I will be doing 35's & 20x10's with this same lift height. Maybe 20x9's and keep my 1.5" spacers. All depends on what I can get a good deal on.

Well truck is running, and running good! A few minor kinks to work out, to It's basically all done, and good to go. Definitely way more stout with the new motor, converter and tune. Will spin the tires no problem, and feels very quick.

A couple vids of it running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNdZQYJyFD8&list=UUDyw_vu5PJU-0PX-STlFYWw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et7_Ru-nHo0&list=UUDyw_vu5PJU-0PX-STlFYWw&index=1

I ripped my padding when I did cam and then some more when I did heads :rofl: looks hideous

i thought about taking mine completely out

i have to remember when i get it back to used compressed air to blow the shit tucked under the intake out

Ripped min out of the 04, also tossed the foam things under front and rear of intake, built rtv dam 3/4 way around knock sensor covers