00silvy's official 2000 Silverado Build thread

u can port n polish ur oem pump and get the chain only...chain is like $20

In the states.... Probably $50 here.

And how do you port and polish OEM pump?

How do you even get to the oil pump?

Is it really worth it to port oil pump & replace chain? Motor only has 99K...

Last edited:
Pull timing cover and oil pan, I'd do timing chain. And to go the chain you have to pull the pan. So I'd do both for extra reassurance.

Sent from Tapashit

In the states.... Probably $50 here.

And how do you port and polish OEM pump?

How do you even get to the oil pump?

Is it really worth it to port oil pump & replace chain? Motor only has 99K...

http://customgm.com/engine-performance/3997-how-port-lsx-oil-pump.html

Youd have to pull the timing cover and replace that gasket along with the oil pan gasket. Its a free mod and ensures good oiling

Chain u can skip on if it looks ok, but since its out, its something easy to do cuz DNW 150k miles on oem chain.

http://customgm.com/engine-performance/3997-how-port-lsx-oil-pump.html

Youd have to pull the timing cover and replace that gasket along with the oil pan gasket. Its a free mod and ensures good oiling

Chain u can skip on if it looks ok, but since its out, its something easy to do cuz DNW 150k miles on oem chain.

Lol, ripping this motor apart evidentally. seems like a whole lotta work. When these motors usually go like 200+K without issue, and I wont have the tools at the shop I am doing the engine swap at to do the porting.

And that link is broken lol. Wont go past page 3.

If I had more time to rip the motor all apart, and a little more money to replace everything I would. But unfortunetly I am on a time schedule (my truck is my DD) and Money is already tight, that I am dropping in a new motor).

Last edited:
It's not hard at all since the motor will be out of the truck, that's why I say do it now lol. Super easy with the motor on a stand

Sent from Tapashit

ur call dude bro...but its so easy to do this stuff with it out. If you plan on keeping it another 100k miles, its something worth doing.

It's not hard at all since the motor will be out of the truck, that's why I say do it now lol. Super easy with the motor on a stand

Sent from Tapashit

I cant do the motor swap in my shop, I have to go to my grand fathers. So I wont have my die grinder or my taps. If I had more time, money and all my tools, I probably would tackle port/shim oil pump & chain, cam, replace both knock sensors as well. But It's just not simply possible.

I can always pull the motor out at another time once i get a DD. and do work.

Once the body is done in the spring, I'd like to rip motor out once I am doing my 06 silverado front end, do oil pump, chain, knock sensors, efans, 34" rad, pitman arm, a cam, long tubes and an E-cutout. Same time I do a 4L80E