00silvy's official 2000 Silverado Build thread

Well the motor in the truck is pooched. Burning oil. bad misfire (cylinder #5, its not coil/plug or wire. So must be fuel or compression) and knocing, and tons of condensation/water in my oil. km is high on motor, motor needs a new belt & pulleys and a water pump, so Im just gunna drop in a 6.0L, do it all one shot, then truck is basically all new.

Found a line on a LQ9 with 99K on it. Picking up in the morning.

Going to put all my new plugs, coils & wires onto LQ9, along with new water pump, new belts, new pulleys, new intake gaskets and clean it up nice. May hit it with hi heat paint.

I am going to be installing my TB I6 stall at same time (with a 6L pushing it, around 2500/2600 rpm stall).

I got kyle giving me all advice and help, so I should be alright with motor swap. Will be doing it this week!

i do 2500RPM in my 5.3....u should see a lil higher.

replace the oil pressure sensor and take a look at the knock sensors while its out too.

LQ9 MIGHT have an engine oil cooler line running from top of the oil filter to the radiator....if ur truck doesn't have this, pull the cover off ur old engine and slap it on the lq9....OR cut the lines, run 1/2" hose to an external oil cooler.

need to fix 4wd too chief lol

Once I can find a used driveshaft yoke. I should call and price out a new one just for hoho's. I got the u-joints, and the driveshaft itself. Just need a new yoke

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

i do 2500RPM in my 5.3....u should see a lil higher.

replace the oil pressure sensor and take a look at the knock sensors while its out too.

LQ9 MIGHT have an engine oil cooler line running from top of the oil filter to the radiator....if ur truck doesn't have this, pull the cover off ur old engine and slap it on the lq9....OR cut the lines, run 1/2" hose to an external oil cooler.

I got a new oil pressure sensor for it! Gunna do intake gaskets too. What should I look for in knock sensors?

:nice: Look down in the knock sensor holes for rust/condensation. They're cheap enough, I'd go ahead and pop new ones in and make a dam outta silicone around the little rubber plugs that go on the top of the holes. That way water won't get down in there again

what huck said...when u pull the intake off, the rear sensor is most likely to have rust on it. get u some/a new one and new harness for them. then put some high temp rtv ON the plug lip, connect the sensor and put round cover on...then lay down a nice fat bead around the cover, but leaving a small gap towards the back so water can get out....do that for both covers.

sorta like this but I do it right where the cover lip is at
GM_5.3L_intake_manifold_knock_sensor_modification.jpg

THIS
1ywtax.jpg

My knock sensors looked JUST like this....front one was fine, rear was FUCKED
knocksensors.jpg

Last edited:
what huck said...when u pull the intake off, the rear sensor is most likely to have rust on it. get u some/a new one and new harness for them. then put some high temp rtv ON the plug lip, connect the sensor and put round cover on...then lay down a nice fat bead around the cover, but leaving a small gap towards the back so water can get out....do that for both covers.

sorta like this but I do it right where the cover lip is at
GM_5.3L_intake_manifold_knock_sensor_modification.jpg

THIS
1ywtax.jpg

My knock sensors looked JUST like this....front one was fine, rear was FUCKED
knocksensors.jpg

What do you mean on the plug lip?

And something like this work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-LS1-L...Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b58c6afc&vxp=mtr

That kit works.....the big black plugs have a lip/flap that goes over the valley cover once u seat it in the hole. Put some rtv on the bottom of that lip so it seals between the valley cover and the black plug.

That kit works.....the big black plugs have a lip/flap that goes over the valley cover once u seat it in the hole. Put some rtv on the bottom of that lip so it seals between the valley cover and the black plug.

Oh, I see, the cap has a larger diameter lip than the actual plug. The bed of RTV goes under that lip? Is that grommet called the valley cover? Sorry, I'm not truck motor savvy. And I may only buy one, as they are fawkin expensive in Canada

Oh, I see, the cap has a larger diameter lip than the actual plug. The bed of RTV goes under that lip? Is that grommet called the valley cover? Sorry, I'm not truck motor savvy. And I may only buy one, as they are fawkin expensive in Canada

Yes, under that lip to make a nice seal and then u build the little damn like the pics posted above...that deflects the water around the plug. The valley cover is the aluminum piece where the knock sensors are in...that entire piece is bolted to the engine and is called the valley cover.

Each knock sensor is like $35 in the land of the free :patriot: