Khaos' RCSB Thread

If it has filler on it, it's been to a body shop before. Doubt very seriously the factory would put filler on a truck. :imo:

not trying to argue, but i know the full history of my truck, got it with 3 miles right off the truck. even my painter says he has seen filler on the bed rails of these trucks.

eh what ever then, seen it on fords too, its a very light coat of fillter to make it buttery smooth, take a straight line sander to a bed rail, and go down to bare metal and you will see some high spots start to come through with filler in the low spots.

Well good new and bad news. My dad messed up his back pretty bad the other day when we were working, so nothing has gotten done dent/paint wise. The good news is I got my sway bar on, along with a new evap canister and rear rubber brake hose.

Easy way to lift the bed off:

IMG_20130814_125439 by chris.farragher, on Flickr

IMG_20130814_131127 by chris.farragher, on Flickr

Brake hose was almost rubbed through:

IMG_20130814_131135 by chris.farragher, on Flickr

IMG_20130814_131155 by chris.farragher, on Flickr

New one on

IMG_20130814_161700 by chris.farragher, on Flickr

New canister

IMG_20130814_133537 by chris.farragher, on Flickr

Rear sway bar installed:

IMG_20130814_161647 by chris.farragher, on Flickr

IMG_20130814_161721 by chris.farragher, on Flickr

Strapped the lights on to take it for a spin

IMG_20130814_170921 by chris.farragher, on Flickr

Let me just say, to anyone considering installing a sway bar on the rear DO. IT. NOW.

Best upgrade hands down that I've done. I took it for a ~25 mile spin right after I got it on and was thoroughly impressed by how much the handling was improved. It stays planted in corners and is way more predictable. Much tighter and more responsive all around. The only downside, which I don't mind at all, is it made the rear a bit stiffer. It drastically limits the down travel the axle had before installing it, so potholes and bumps feel a bit bigger. Not a problem for me because I'd rather have the handling vs a super smooth ride that's sloppy. Definitely gonna put it through its paces from here on out whenever I see a curve in the road :D

Edit: Also just cleaned and painted the rear frame better than I did when I dropped the truck in Jan. Didn't grab any pics of that yet, I'll wait til that's all done.

Thanks guys! Me too, sucks it probably won't get painted for a bit, but that's outta my hands til my dad heals up hahah.

Jordan, it handles like it's on rails. I feel like I will be getting into a ton of trouble with it if I push it took far though. I still have to remind myself it's a truck :rofl:

And I took a video of me driving in the other day. Strapped the camera to the headrest and pointed it out the back glass to watch the whole rear suspension at work. I'll edit it down and upload it soon.

It's like you can tell the future Bryan.

u8erujyq.jpg

a2ehe2uq.jpg

:crazy: I did it yesterday but just waited for it to dry.

I used Duplicolor Rubberized Undercoating, got it on clearance from Summit and I can see why it was being clearanced. I'm not happy with how it went on, or how it dried. But in have 15 cans of it still, so might as well use it up. Next go around, which won't be for a while, it'll get done the right way with quality coatings. But on my budget, I couldn't argue with getting 24 cans at 3.80 a can.
At least it'll help keep everything protected for a while under there, and I can touch up anything that comes off.

Oh, and I'm probably gonna just use regular paint on the axle and rear, because this stuff doesn't look the greatest.

Yeah, my dad kind of steered me away from his aircraft stripper though. So I just used full strength purple power, let it soak, scraped it, rinse & repeat a few times. Didn't get it down to the metal in some places, but I got all the loose stuff off. Then went over everything with a wireless brush to rough it up, hosed it off again, then used the compressor to blow it all off.

Next time this happens, EVERYTHING is being taken apart and prepped, powdered/painted the right way.

But that's a ways off, around the same time as the 370 gets done and the T56, gears, and tru trac are ordered :crazy:

Jordan, it handles like it's on rails. I feel like I will be getting into a ton of trouble with it if I push it took far though. I still have to remind myself it's a truck :rofl:

Having a manual is so much more fun. My 09 handled like a turd compared to my Si obviously. I know what you mean about getting into trouble with something that handles so well. If I had any ambition, I'd put sway bars and coilovers on my car, I bet that would be a good time.

Had a little bit of fun last night coming home from the new girl's house around 2:30...

juqu5a9y.jpg

:crazy:

Couple small updates. We put the bed back on yesterday and buttoned that up. Got some leds in for my brake lights and rear turn signals today, so they'll go in soon.

I also pm'd a guy over on ls1tech about a set of ls2/lq9 pistons and rods for sale. I shouldn't spend the money now, but just seeing what he'd let them go for.

I'm being really indecisive about this motor and what I should do. Part of me wants to do the all out 370 build, while then other part wants just a hone, lq9 pistons, off the shelf cam, cleaned up heads and swap it in. That would leave more money for trans and rear end mods. I think that's what I'll end up doing over time.

Any realistic input would be helpful. Not just the 'spend a ton of money because it would be badass' usual stuff that we all say.

I say definitely the 'hone' method. Much rather have moderately build engine with some other drive train work rather than fully built engine with no help elsewhere :imo:

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Well if I went fully built I'd build everything else too, it would just take way longer hahah. AT least with just a mild 6.0 I could rebuild it and only have the truck down for a few days and have it going again without worrying much about the other supporting mods just yet.