ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

Rain held off for a bit. Mowed some grass and now fitting a hood.
Here are some pics from yesterday. I had to move the hood around a little to get a better fit.
Not totally happy with the back of the hood and may round it off a little if i have time.
The first few pics got adjusted.. just a little though.

The left fender is a bit tighter than the right since I just stuck the fender on w/ 3 bolts holding it in place.
Good enough for an alignment and to mask of cutlines. I am no expert body man, so it will me a while to get it right.

IMG_20140610_192219_777_zpsurkaulgb.jpg

IMG_20140610_192211_142_zpsnjbyf1zw.jpg

Thought it would fit better than this.
IMG_20140610_192200_729_zpsg1hc7mtr.jpg

IMG_20140610_192149_590_zps2sb6pmpi.jpg

IMG_20140610_190506_769_zpszfim0ved.jpg

IMG_20140610_190453_263_zps3bwen3hc.jpg

Trying to get it cut tonight. I'll post results.

Last edited:
Very nice pictures, can't wait to see results when finished, I'll keep looking for another hood.... and I think I'll meet you the monday you drop the truck off to pick up the tows if that's okay with you :sneaky: no need to ship them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sure man! I was going to check shipping a little later this week. I had to drop some stuff off at UPS on Thursday.
If you are interested in helping me lift truck, I'll buy you a replacement lower mirror for drivers side?

Although I need some serious cash to finish those plans. Either way you can have them lol.

Sorry had to delete post. Moved pictures to wrong album. :down:
Here it is again

Installed my old chrome grill to line things up.
Degreased / cleaned the leading edge.

And yes the tape is just a guide to the fender edge. I realize is has a slight curve.
I am going to trace my old hood onto this using a paper template. The edge can be used as a guide for the center-fold line, that will raise the lip a little, and hopefully have the curve as well. In my head I can see it, but we'll see if i can actually get a decent curve out of it.

IMG_20140610_202523_116_zpsild4sptq.jpg

IMG_20140610_202616_200_zpsghss22ia.jpg

IMG_20140610_202632_610_zpslcxmwjyy.jpg

IMG_20140610_204609_322_zpslg94sljp.jpg

Last edited:
And make sure you use the denali lights as they are a tad bigger iirc
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will be using my 2500HD grill clear markers and Denali lights for sure.

Surely that's just the start cuz they're low. Then the curve will be added. I hope lol

Yup. I'll trace out the curve from my old hood on paper and see if I can transfer it.

i was gonna say, draw a lint straight up from the grill edge, so you know where to stop better.

other than that, looks like your making headway

I drew a slight arc in from the grill edge. Once I make my first cut and strip away some of the metal on the back side, I can re-fit the hood and double check the final line to be made. Just need to remove some material first. Zzzz. That is what takes the most time. I don't think the rest will take all that long. Probably why it took your body guy a while to do it? Or maybe he was just busy and the truck sat there.

I might be in same boat if I cant get this right. Just like you said though.. I have 2 other hoods that are perfectly fine and I can just have this hood painted at a later date if I need more fab time.

That hood is the same color as my truck. Better send it here for inspection before you get it painted. :D

:cheeky:

Last edited:
I drew a slight arc in from the grill edge. Once I make my first cut and strip away some of the metal on the back side, I can re-fit the hood and double check the final line to be made. Just need to remove some material first. Zzzz. That is what takes the most time. I don't think the rest will take all that long. Probably why it took your body guy a while to do it? Or maybe he was just busy and the truck sat there.

I might be in same boat if I cant get this right. Just like you said though.. I have 2 other hoods that are perfectly fine and I can just have this hood painted at a later date if I need more fab time.

:cheeky:

my guy went to the shore for the weekend and then had to take moday and tuesday off to give some talks about alcohol at the local school,

he actually had it trimmed out for the mast part in a day, then just had to weld it up and make it look good.

Rough cut them down a bit tonight. Now I can work on getting the right shape and rolling the edge.
Then I'll mig some metal to the back and seal it up. The grill isn't bolted in completely in these pics.
Just enough to use as a guide.

I'll work some more on it tomorrow. trying to decide what to do with the hood corners. Looking at pics of different hoods. A slightly rounded edge maybe.
IMG_20140611_203812_788_zpskflzxnsj.jpg

IMG_20140611_203840_731_zpsq3c6nsnx.jpg

Last edited: