ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

Had to losen up both dipstick mount nuts and pull it away from old dowpipe + shield.
Once this was done I was able to bring the whole thing out over the frame with some wiggling.
IMG_20140608_193259_774_zpsbsjmzruc.jpg

The new pipe went in very easily from the bottom.
IMG_20140608_201220_512_zpsbyrozy5f.jpg

I used the v-band from the bottom of the original downpipe on top since I cut up the old one.
The yellow dust is from my pry bar :cool:
IMG_20140608_201254_342_zps6eclkdn2.jpg

Bolted right back in. Ready for front pipe to be re-attached.
IMG_20140608_201306_239_zpscmrlxgmc.jpg

I'll leave it like this until I get a new band to hold it together.
IMG_20140608_201320_630_zpsanjrc7y4.jpg

IMG_20140608_201306_239_zpscmrlxgmc.jpg

Moved it outside and covered it so I could clean garage a bit.
IMG_20140608_210146_718_zpsarocbpvm.jpg

Also took some time to degrease the fender of the 1500. I'll grind a little surface rust off an edge, treat it and install it when finished.
IMG_20140608_210158_078_zpse3jn6au7.jpg

I just backed it out of the garage (I think that's what you meant anyway)
She sounds good... not as loud as I imagined even with downpipe only. It also sounds a little more "woooshing"
hard to describe that turbo sound. I took a quick video that I will post, but it's really hard to tell.

Started just fine with 1 battery, hopefully if I can get another v-band clamp today I can put it back together.

Last edited:
doesn't look that hard... how is the clearance between the tranny dip stick and the down pipe ?

It doesn't look hard but it took me a few hours. I spent most of my time needing longer wrenches, buying a new sawzall, looking for a v-clamp and then shoe-horning the old pipe out. Having everything else apart made it much easier though. Loosening up the dipstick was a must. I actually pulled it away from the DP a little and only re-installed the bottom nut on the mount so there is a little clearance. I read a few threads and people have commented on no issues with the dipstick.

you understood correctly lol.

dont do that too much with the one bat, it will kill it, and or burn up the wire going to the starter.

when i got my 6.5 the guy only had one bat hooked up, the second one was never grounded i found out. when i thought the batts were dead. then since the one was basically dead the other one died not long after.

just throwing it out there. i know you plan on hooking the second one back up.

Yeah I only started it twice.. not doing anything with it though.

Just ordered a V-band camp and AirRaid replacement filter from XDP.
Should be here tomorrow and I can hook exhaust back up.

Tonight I will bolt everything back together and re-install fender, front end and hood.
I need to get crackin' on that hood mod.. she's getting painted next week.

The whole enchilada! Complete paint job! :security:

I am doing the prep work and removing a few parts + moulding, they will prime, base and clear it for me!
A lot of prep work... :afraid: That's why I am needing to do that hood. I wanted it painted at the same time with the rest of the truck. I won't have time to shave the gate.

The only place I told them to not waste their time spraying would be the bed of the truck.
I might line it or something on my own.

Last edited:
I think it will be a nice improvement. You can tell the difference in the finish between the parts I bolted on and the original paint. Getting rid of those little troublesome surface rust spots will be huge. I could have bought a lift or some new tires and wheels, but I feel like this is money well spent. Even my mirrors didn't weather this last winter very well, I found some cracking around one of the joints. It might have got hit / scraped with rocks, salt and snow.

I am also thinking of spraying like a 1" swath of rock guard along the edges of the fenders and bottom of the cab and they can paint right over it. I did the same thing to another vehicle and it came out great.. rugged as hell. But some people want that 'smooth' look all the way down the body. I'll get the body work done first and then decide.

Last edited:
i would do a rock guard from similar to barbers NNBS it goes up the body like 2-3 in to hale protect it.

also, just so you knowm my hood guy put the hood on without the headlights, marked where the fender and the grill met up with the hood, and then just ground it away and checked, ground some more and checked. then just welded up the lip, sanded it smooth.

hopefully that helps with your hood.

I'll check out that nnbs. It can look pretty tough if done right.

Thank you on the hood advice. That actually makes sense. I can probably roll the lip, but getting it uniform might be an issue. I should have it marked and taped tonight if I get everything else back together. I really don't want it coming out like shit. lol That's still a possibility.

I'll leave 1/2" off the mark so I can attempt to roll it. Gives me some room to play.

I would only do it up the rockers but not the doors because of the way these trucks are. But rock guard is a great idea i could use some of that on mine as well

Up into the rocker panel crease of the body. + up and under into the fender wells. I could always put flares back on. I wouldn't worry so much about the paint bubbling through under them if it had the extra protection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dropping it off Monday the 16th to the paint shop. That's coming pretty damn fast.

I did mount the hood again last night, taped off the lines I need.
Used a permanent marker to create a guideline. So much to do.. but looking forward to results.