ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

ugg. SAS too?! I think I can get away with the existing setup, especially if I stick with the 4BTA or anything lighter (most gas engines)

I called ColorTec (here in Portland) today and did an inquiry on powder coating. I might ship them my parts before installing them (whatever I end up choosing)

Last edited:
I appreciate your inspiring input though. There are so many nice rigs on here, it's hard to pick and choose what to do! It's not $40K truck though, so I don't mind taking on something that is off the beaten path.

Next week it's getting new hose & clamp on the power steering pump and I am changing an O2 sensor. See if she passes inspection so I can get moving! I am shopping for a commuter car at the same time too. That way the truck can just stay garaged while I have it apart.

Getting things in order. Taking another hard look at my front end components.
I need new upper/lower control arms and bushings along with a few other parts.
I'd love to replace it all. I am really trying to decide just to replace stock with stock,
or just pay a bit extra and put a 6" Rough Country or 7" Mcgaughys lift in there while I have it apart.

Also getting a little more beefy for a new engine isn't a bad idea either way.

I feel like it's plenty high for my tires now, no issues.
As usual, there is so much to do on this ride, it's hard to choose a direction.

RCX decranked to 4" would be sweet

6" RCX sprayed with chassis gunmetal ? How does the factory coating on the RCX hold up? That was the only reason I was considering powder coat.
I was worried factory coating would just peel / rust like everything else I own.

6" RCX sprayed with chassis gunmetal ? How does the factory coating on the RCX hold up? That was the only reason I was considering powder coat.
I was worried factory coating would just peel / rust like everything else I own.

Mine seems to be fine so far

Getting the building itch going again. I have a few more drivetrain issues to sort out on the swap.
In the meantime....

On order :
-6" RCX Lift Kit
-Moog Upper and Lower Control Arms & Bushings
-Moog Inner and Outer Tie-rod ends
-Stainless Power steering hoses
-Picking up a 2002 2500HD Hood on Sunday - Thanks to No1Limit for the craiglist lead.

No1Limit will be coming down here beginning of May to help me with the lift.
Truck is going to be garaged for a while as I am getting a new DD.

I can get a lot more done this way.

Last edited:
Those plans sounds awesome man, it's gonna look so sweet when done! That hood takes a lot of patience tho let me tell you.

Where did you find the stainless power steering hoses?