ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

4BTs are sweet, ive watched way too many videos on youtube lol
In a mini truckin mag i had there was a ford ranger with a 4BT, i wanna say he was running a 4l80e trans too.

4BTs are sweet, ive watched way too many videos on youtube lol
In a mini truckin mag i had there was a ford ranger with a 4BT, i wanna say he was running a 4l80e trans too.

4l80e is a common trans for a 4bt swap. I believe they makes the adapters to mate the two for a reasonable price. Seems like that is the automatic trans of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've had the winter to research the conversion, and a few things are a little beyond my abilities, but I am willing to learn as I go. Other parts of the conversion are right up my alley. I suppose it's the same for most of you, although I know a few guys here that can do it all for sure.

I've almost completed my parts list. I found another build thread on a Tahoe, and the 4BT swap site but there is a lot of room for customization and fabrication. After I tally it up and decide to pull the trigger I'll post it here.

Last edited:
ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

Yeah I've had the winter to research the conversion, and a few things are a little beyond my abilities, but I am willing to learn as I go. Other parts of the conversion are right up my alley. I suppose it's the same for most of you, although I know a few guys here that can do it all for sure.

I've almost completed my parts list. I found another build thread on a Tahoe, and the 4BT swap site but there is a lot of room for customization and fabrication. After I tally it up and decide to pull the trigger I'll post it here.

Look forward to it.

:shake:

Stopped by Maine Bio-fuels today, and trying to connect with a few shops in town that have experience with conversions.
Also reached out to East Coast Rovers up in Rockland.. they build custom Land Rovers and restore all sorts of rides.
I may have trouble in Maine with regulations / getting it inspected and registered where other states it is not such a big deal.
I'll know in a couple of days but it's not looking good. If the truck was 1996 and earlier it probably wouldn't be an issue. (obdII)

Interesting thread on this topic in another forum.. have a read for any interested in a swap

This state really knows how to spoil a good time with it's high taxes and regulations up the wazoo.

On top of that, my instrument cluster (speedo) is dying. stepper is off... works fine until I hit the highway and then gets stuck.
/end bitching.

Last edited:
eh, only excuse for new guages is to put ones with a temp guage in.

Everyone wants the temp gauge! So between that and the junk steppers is say it qualifies for a new cluster!

Getting things in order. Taking another hard look at my front end components.
I need new upper/lower control arms and bushings along with a few other parts.
I'd love to replace it all. I am really trying to decide just to replace stock with stock,
or just pay a bit extra and put a 6" Rough Country or 7" Mcgaughys lift in there while I have it apart.

Also getting a little more beefy for a new engine isn't a bad idea either way.

I feel like it's plenty high for my tires now, no issues.
As usual, there is so much to do on this ride, it's hard to choose a direction.