ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

All bushings, tie rods, upper & lower arms, pitman, idler etc.
I have a few bolts that are frozen as well. That will be TONS of fun.
If I pass inspection, I will do it all after my swap.

I might need to fab a couple of mounting brackets too.. not sure yet.

Once it is all apart and if I have the extra $.. it just makes sense to add the lift at that time.

I just went through and re-read the whole thread, god damn this thing is a rust bucket, but looks like you're doing a great job on fixing that problem so far.

And for the engine swap I would suggest the 6.0 with a mild cam and headers, and then do a 4l80e swap with a floor shift 4x4 to keep things simple. I don't like awd on a truck because there's been a lot of situations where I wanted 4x4 to be locked in and other where you want 2x4. Better leave awd to the suvs and cars lol

Well I have a small garage here. Could probably do the lift work in there if I cleared it out and put the other stuff in my shed.
You did a lot of your stuff outside though, right? No fun in February!

I had to update my "wish list" at the start of the thread... getting damn long lol

Nope, i did mine all in one bay of a two bay garage, the other bay is taken up by my 1933 pick up i need to get working on :facepalm:

Just make sure your garage is tall enough haha

I just went through and re-read the whole thread, god damn this thing is a rust bucket, but looks like you're doing a great job on fixing that problem so far....

Yup! Mostly that rear-end. The front is not so bad. If I didn't have to deal with corrosion I would have more done by now. It's very time consuming. Almost every upgrade underneath has been a struggle due to rust...and it will continue. I hope to make more progress on the rust this winter / spring.. oh well. :banghead:

Last edited:
yeah, i had to take off the arm that connects the chain to the door for the door opener in order to get in/out

when you level the tows (if you haven't already) I would suggest using only 2 of the washers Cody suggests in the how-to. I had 3 on my 2500 and it made the mirrors sag just a little and the cap didn't fit. I took one out of each and it was perfect.

oh and the truck is looking amazing! :hng:

when my brother moved to a new house, he decided he wanted to put his '97 Z71 with 9 inches of lift and 37's in his garage and we were afraid we'd have to put stock size tires back on it to roll it inside but we just cut the part of the arm on the garage door that sticks out about 6 inches and it fit perfect. looked like Kelly's (h8tdon) setup lol.

Some better quality pics.

Snowbird.
IMG_20131126_081320_890_zps37151132.jpg

IMG_20131126_083016_482_zpsf8b6b950.jpg

IMG_20131126_081330_298_zpsb71b827b.jpg

IMG_20131126_081335_590_zps5d657674.jpg

3cef013d-1b14-404a-9ed6-9503bb9c9b33_zpsadb78aeb.jpg

e5cc1c15-7c77-41d5-a5fa-b0f3b07db96e_zpse62f280b.jpg

Damn that turned out great! I say no to flares :imo: but definitely color match the rear bumper pads and the rest of the plans sound great!