ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

For better or for worse they are cleared. Unhappy that I had a few bubbles on one of the parts.
Hard to notice, but I know they are there. Ended up doing 3 coats of clear on everything.
I had some dust & debris get on one of them. Tried to show in pic but hard to see.

I'll wet sand them tomorrow and polish. Should come out a little smoother... but they are already acceptable for me.

It will be dropping back down into the 30's tomorrow so it was do or die.
I really should have put the extra work in and sprayed them with the bumper when it was warmer.

Here are a few pics while the clear was still settling..I love how the finish smoothes out after a few minutes.
IMG_20131118_123243_043_zps4dc98b0d.jpg

IMG_20131118_123349_619_zpsd4d8caff.jpg

IMG_20131118_123403_695_zpsd66b773e.jpg

ugh your painting looks soooo much better then mine good job man maybe i will try paint some more next spring.....

Still got a lot of frame + drivetrain work to do. But at least it looks a little more 'presentable'

The guys struggled to get it into alignment today.. and it's still not perfect.

I'll need new bushings, tie-rods and will probably end up getting all new control arms as well.
It may pass inspection with what it has, which would be great until I can spring for all the new parts.
I'd love to do it after my motor swap is complete but I am sure my hand will be forced to fix it sooner than later.

Installing the Mirrors, door handles, gate this Saturday.. along with cleaning up a few other loose ends.
It's been a crazy-busy week at work.. so not much time. I didn't polish the mirrors yet, but they look
fine & glossy at the moment. If I want a mirror finish, I will polish them at a later date.

Getting that stuff out of the way will let me enter the next phase of this build. Trying to develop a plan for that as well.
I would like to continue the speed of the build so I need to make some choices (oh and get the funds)
I've been reviewing a few other threads to get some ideas. You guys are pretty creative, that's for sure.

Pics on finished install this weekend.

should looks sweet dude i am jelly of the speed of your build ... IMO if you have to fix frame i would make it a RCSB because nobody does that, but it will be a lot more work... and i bet it doesnt make for the quickest truck atm with the 4.3l in it so the 6l would be sweet

I can pretty much guarantee at least a 6.0L swap coming. Although I will say just for poking around town, the 4.3 does the job.
I just need to decide if I want to do a powerful naturally aspirated build, or forced induction. Gas mileage is not really a concern..although I realize nothing will be much better than what I have.

* I've already got a guy interested in the engine and tranny + accessories for his project. He is trying to convince me to go with a Big Block vs. Small Block engine as I think he has something to trade.

*Shortbed conversion may be an option. If I get in there and find there is too much work on that rear end I might decide to lop it off and do the conversion. I know I have a ton of work to do underneath before I even get to the swap. Boring and time consuming work.

should looks sweet dude i am jelly of the speed of your build ... IMO if you have to fix frame i would make it a RCSB because nobody does that, but it will be a lot more work... and i bet it doesnt make for the quickest truck atm with the 4.3l in it so the 6l would be sweet

corny did it.

IMO not worth it to shorten it, too much work, unless the rear of the frame is completely fucked, and you can get a donor truck to cut the rear clip off of.

corny did it.

IMO not worth it to shorten it, too much work, unless the rear of the frame is completely fucked, and you can get a donor truck to cut the rear clip off of.

The frame is still solid.. metal is good. 2-3 cross members are shot, but it can be cleaned up. Just going to be a lot of labor hours.
Like you said.. maybe not worth. I would also lose the RCLB sex appeal. :cool:

Nada. Worked all Saturday laying new conduit to my garage. Had to cut through my driveway and trench new pvc. Did a bang up job though and now I have a new 60 amp sub panel in my garage to run all my shop tools / welder etc on. I will finish wiring it up this week. I had to do this before it got much colder else I would be screwed until spring.

I might get back to the truck Tuesday / Wednesday when it's a little warmer and finish up the color matched parts.

We are going to get some snow on Turkey day, so I will take some pics :up:
It won't be long before I will be taking the wheels off for winter.

Last edited:
Didn't take long to change out the door handles once the glass was removed. Finished up by bolting on the tow mirrors as well and then taking it to the car wash for a bath.

46_zpsb0629f8c.jpg

49_zps99c2452a.jpg

50_zpse92843ea.jpg

52_zps22a4767d.jpg

53_zpsca82fcd9.jpg

:omg:

I still need to do the tailgate. It will look a little better, but it could use a coat of paint.

More later. Hittin' the sack.

Last edited:
looks 13098130173917318379187x better then when you started !!! i so jealous of you handles and mirrors and that you demolded....those are the only 3 things i still really want to do to my truck cosmetically