SDM Build Thread

i feel like if you dont do bypass right now then you will later or wish that you would have. youre always going to want more.

I would go with the remote resi. If you want more adjustability get something like the foxes with the compression adjustment on the resi. I don't really think the bypasses are worth the cost imo

I would go with the remote resi. If you want more adjustability get something like the foxes with the compression adjustment on the resi. I don't really think the bypasses are worth the cost imo

i was hoping you'd chime in. There has been others who move the upper mount up for a 12" smoothie resi but thats a huge shock lol

Geez I suck at checking posts new posts lol. Yea and you know very well too that the motion ratio of the shock is just as important too. How much travel will you really gain? I don't know anything about the 4Runner rear ends and with the stock geometry what really would be the ideal shock length. But since changing the shock mounts is easy enough a proper set up 12" shock could be close to as effective as a bypass bolted in the stock location but you could have a couple more inches of travel. However I've never had bypasses so idk what I'm really missing out on haha. My truck works well with how it is set up now. I spent the money on the nitrogen set up so I can revalve myself and I saw that as money better spent than bypasses.

Geez I suck at checking posts new posts lol. Yea and you know very well too that the motion ratio of the shock is just as important too. How much travel will you really gain? I don't know anything about the 4Runner rear ends and with the stock geometry what really would be the ideal shock length. But since changing the shock mounts is easy enough a proper set up 12" shock could be close to as effective as a bypass bolted in the stock location but you could have a couple more inches of travel. However I've never had bypasses so idk what I'm really missing out on haha. My truck works well with how it is set up now. I spent the money on the nitrogen set up so I can revalve myself and I saw that as money better spent than bypasses.

ive put more thought into it and i think im going with a 10" smoothie w/ resi with a new upper mount to make it fit in there. People have done 12" with similar set ups but they hang too low. 10" should be ideal for both "wants".

I think that will work well. And you could always add some 2.0 bumps later in the rear and that should be a good set up even if you went with a full lt up front.

I'm still trying to figure out why my rear end is so harsh. So I took baseline photos to see if I hit anywhere.

6cbe7ba2bed1c96e2c2b3a4a3f4491f8.jpg

9911973268fa65d7e6c4c45dbcf089ec.jpg

Nothing out of the ordinary there. So I took the jack and jacked up one side of the axle to compress as far as I could before the other rear wheel came off the ground.

1a8f04fcc720cc0f6e3e91fe337ffda4.jpg

1d075d33977482017a61b7b5ef0ad4a7.jpg

So with nothing touching I was a bit stumped. So I decided to remove the rear shock and cycle it off the vehicle in case any issues arose there.

81ef74f07fe70eaa7e5ea91ee299fa56.jpg

Found my issue there, they're not charged anymore. So I'm going to take them to get rebuilt, revalved and inspected.

Can't decide if I want to sell after rebuilding or just throw them back on.

Extended measurement is 27", collapses is 17". I can easily buy a KING 2.5 smoothie with resi for $700 and match. So I may try to sell these.

Last edited:
Lol! Yea that would do it. They will definitely need a rebuild cause you probably have oil on both sides of the ifp in the resi now. I had one shock discharge from the little o ring seal in the Schrader cap being out of place and pressing on the valve stem when I tightened the cap down. But it wasn't immediate because I didn't notice at all when I screwed the cap on. It was probably weeks later when I was in the back of the truck and grabbed the hose and it moved like a wet noodle lol.

Lol! Yea that would do it. They will definitely need a rebuild cause you probably have oil on both sides of the ifp in the resi now. I had one shock discharge from the little o ring seal in the Schrader cap being out of place and pressing on the valve stem when I tightened the cap down. But it wasn't immediate because I didn't notice at all when I screwed the cap on. It was probably weeks later when I was in the back of the truck and grabbed the hose and it moved like a wet noodle lol.

haha yeah these are a bit done for in their current state. I ordered rebuild kits and sold them already. Ill be ordering some 2.5 Kings here soon.

Good choice. Do you have any idea what the 4runner weighs? I know that my truck is about 5400, I went to the dump a week ago and it showed on my way out. But I would imagine you must be at least 500-1000 lbs lighter. I think those 2.5's will do good.

Good choice. Do you have any idea what the 4runner weighs? I know that my truck is about 5400, I went to the dump a week ago and it showed on my way out. But I would imagine you must be at least 500-1000 lbs lighter. I think those 2.5's will do good.

The v8 4runner's are roughly 4300-4500lbs curb weight.

its what i really wanted anyway, i just jumped on the deal for those normal Kings. Now i will need to make custom upper and lower mounts but it will be 100% worth it.

I think I will be using these mounts for the upper shock mounts to mount the bypasses.

c898f6cb3f208d25c571459584145d71.jpg

3220ebf480da12f99d14951b1b85fb03.jpg

c9d7923c564a251b6366b14249180bdf.jpg

70ed18908b8bec6d1dd70d661691b13f.jpg

If I mount them in the existing shock "pocket" i should have enough room. Again I'll know more once I have the bypasses on hand.

da522bbec87e4758e36151874e316484.jpg