Photography Thread

Imo, I was very impressed with it just in the store. Only draw back is no 1.8, but that isn't a deal breaker.

Brb, putting 50mm on craigslist :rofl:

Yeah I've noticed that the few times I've used it. It's on CL now lol, we'll see what interest I get.

Alright so we are wanting to buy a dslr. Looked at best buy today and they have a Canon rebel t3i for $349. Was gonna buy it but they didn't have one in store. Said they should by Wednesday. They also have the t5 for $499. So my question is.. Is the t5 worth the extra $150 or should I stick with the t3i since it's my first dslr anyway?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nah, the extra $150 doesn't get you much more than slightly better auto focus points and a touch screen lcd on the back. I'd take that money and get another lens... Probably the 50mm 1.8 for around $110.

Nah, the extra $150 doesn't get you much more than slightly better auto focus points and a touch screen lcd on the back. I'd take that money and get another lens... Probably the 50mm 1.8 for around $110.

Awesome. That's what I was hoping you would say. I was gonna just text you and ask but I didn't have your number in my new phone haha.

Can't wait to pick one up. Been wanting a dslr for a while.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bought a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 a couple weeks back and I am now finding time to post in this thread but its just a bunch of questions lol. I'm loving it so far that I've had it but I don't get much time to play with it. I've been researching the modes on the camera and figuring aperture. So far, I only been using the auto mode lol. I mainly bought it so I can take good pictures of my son without using my phone all the time, not saying the phone doesn't take good pics. I've been looking at tripods but I'm not 100% sure if I will be using it most of the time or just be stuck in the closet. I did find a good looking on amazon for under 30 bucks but i refrained from buying it because I didn't know if it would be put to good use at this moment. I do want to buy a wide angle lens but I'm afraid if i get one thats fairly cheap that it would not produce great pics like I would it too. I may just say to hell with it and order one lol. Khaos, do you know of any good photography forums?

Just a quick response til I can hop on my computer and post some links...

Lenses:

I've learned the hard (and wasteful) way that cheap lenses generally aren't worth the investment. Now, not all cheap lenses are bad, but those eBay bundles of "wide angle" lenses for like $50-$100 that come with a ton of different things are junk.

Hopefully Geoff posts up as he has a crop sensor camera and has quite a few lenses for it. IIRC, he has a 10-20mm wide angle that takes great pictures.

I'm on the photoforum (iirc that's the name, I'll check and edit if needed). I don't post at all, just lurk and read. Most of the people there are professionals or extremely experienced hobbyists that are just insanely talented.

I like Ken Rockwell for product reviews and comparisons. He is very thorough and honest in his reviews.

As for a tripod, if you aren't gonna be taking a lot of landscape photos or long exposure pictures, I'd hold off for now. Any crookedness can be fixed on a computer.

As far as the different modes, manual is the best. It offers complete control over your camera settings. What I would do is this:

Take a bunch of pictures in auto mode. Find some that you like. Right click on the photo and click properties in the computer, or just click the info button on the camera. That will give you the exif info, which is the nitty gritty details about how the picture was composed. Then, after finding what pictures came out great with those settings, go to manual mode. Set the camera to similar settings and take some more pictures. Then mess with one setting at a time and see how it affects the picture. That's a great way to hands on learn what the different settings do.

Of course, reading on the subject is great as well.

Interesting. I'll definitely start doing that. Yea I ruled out the tripod after your advice. I'll check out that forum. I'm sure I'll be an outkast there lol

Sent from dat iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I'm in awe every time I sign in there, no joke. Sooo much talent.

Also, sign up for a Flickr account. It's a great photo hosting site and they have discussion forums and user groups for just about everything you could be interested in.

Bump. Not a whole lot of new stuff, but I've been trying to make myself get out at least once a week and do something. Next weekend I'm headed to the NY Auto Show, so I'll have tons of content from that afterwards. Also, picked up a used 50mm 1.4 and fell in love. The third to last and second to last are taken with that lens. Super crisp and the bokeh is just killer.

Sonny
by Chris Farragher Photography, on Flickr

Grasses

Also, we got a puppy a few weeks ago and I've been loving all the pictures I've gotten of her. Say hello to Daisy, our new little badass :crazy:

Daisy at 6 weeks

Daisy at 6 weeks

And at 8 weeks

The Badass and the Backup BW

Our other dog Rambo

Rambo

And as close to a selfie as I ever get...

_MG_8194

Some from a car show the past week

11080944_10152678861552793_6861312715135961835_n.jpg

10994936_10152678862607793_7360113298009907404_n.jpg

Nothing special. Had the camera out with my 2 sleds a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to summer and I'm planning on making an effort to get the cam out more.

11133777_10153171571318608_5917578124488222976_n.jpg

11128845_10153171571248608_5841612060213435396_n.jpg

10423827_10153171571423608_1142322800258729041_n.jpg

'Scuse the Facebook hosted photos lol.

Haven't made the move to flickr yet.