ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

looks like good, work lots of rust under there eh... do you like the way it rides with the kit in there ?

Yes, that Rough Country kit is superior to what I had. I probably needed new shocks anyway.
I also picked up those boots for them at Napa. The kit does not come with them.
I didn't put those RC Stickers on them, just left them silver for now.

Tires do look tiny. I think they are 245/75r16 (30.5")

Got all my rotors changed, new pads installed all the way around. Lines are off the front and I'll finish them up in the morning.
At least I know it will stop now. :up: I'll shop online tonight and find a way to blow my next paycheck.

Last edited:
i gota get my new brakes checked and need front right wheel barring :facepalm: but yeah i had 245/70/17's on my truck for 3 days its scary with a 5.3l it really just doesnt get traction when its wet....but looking good if you keep going this fast you will have a sweet looking truck in no time !!!!

im going to some body shop that strips/coats the frame with por-15 for $250-$300 along with my roommate... ill let you know how it goes

Thank you! I have a friend who swears by it (por-15).. and he has several late 80's / early 90's trucks. I'm not sure how I feel about encapsulating rust, but I realize unless I sandblast and soak each part, I'll have no choice but to do it on my truck as well.

If I take my bed off, then I will have full access to everything behind the cab. Probably when I decide to weld that crossmember. I'm anxious for you to do a full review on that undercoat. I hope they spray in all of those hard to reach areas and openings. Maybe I can get the same job done to mine after I go through it! I forgot how close by you are.

Last edited:
Haha I believe they come in a 6 bolt. If so, I think I might go for it. I was searching the web and haven't seen them on a lot of trucks for comparison. I want to pull the trigger on a decision this Friday so I can have them in roughly same time as my tires.

Brake lines are done and bled this morning. Drove it to work.

Last edited:
yeah i do like the rims are they 20x10 ? and i was under my truck for 3 days with 2 cans of POR15 applying it all by hand if you go this route make sure you have no dates planned with anyone special because it will get on your arms drips right through your sweater and shirt and pants and you CAN'T get it off your skin unless you remove your skid by using steelwool :facepalm:....but its been 3 months since i did that and it still looks like i just put it on the frame

I was thinking 20x9 with 0 offset or 20x10 with 18+
I've got to review fitments again. I'm 95% going with these though.. I still like the reapers I posted from BMF too. The racelines Assault DO come in a 6x5.5 by the way.

I just want to make sure that if I go with a 20x10 with 18+ that they won't stick out too far. An inch is tolerable. If I do a 20x10 with 0 offset, I'd probably have some trimming to do as they would be out another .7 inches might be a safe bet but still aggressive.
I don't mind a little trimming.

As I posted earlier, I'll be running 33.2" x 12.5's (305/55)

Last edited:
i personally dont like por15. it fades easily, and it started peeling off of my frame.

I used a brush on rustoluem this time and it looks like my frame was powder coated. your going to need to sand blast or wire wheel as best as you can with that rust.

amazing how a set of shocks can make the truck ride so different lol

Yeah I figured as much. I need some new wirebrushes and grinding pads for my airtools.
The brush on stuff is good, and I think Eastwood makes a 'sprayer' for inside frame rails etc.
Could be handy to do this as well.

What about them? Too many "spokes" ? I kinda like them except for the screw heads / rivets whatever.

I'll go back and look at No1limits wheels again to see his rim width / offset and see if he measured how far form the fender they stick out, and measure back from there.

overall design, just does nothing for me. I think a set of OEM wheels lifted on 32" would look good, maybe a new set of take-offs from the newest trucks

Rims are meh, too many fake bolts, caps are way too bulky, don't like how the spokes (or whatever there called) how they block at the ends. If they were straight all the way and no fake bolts maybe they would be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free