Dean's '11 Crew Cab Budget Build

Went to a local show over the weekend and decided to put the truck in since it was a charity show. Didn't win anything, but the truck got quite a few good looks. Here's some of the shots I got as everyone was leaving. A photographer got some as well, but I'm still trying to get the files from him.

21423846709_e134682556_o.jpg

21584584426_45ab8f150f_o.jpg

21423848229_4749555ff1_o.jpg

21610823185_b4bc40d375_o.jpg

21422745300_5115c6aa0b_o.jpg

Last edited:
Went to a local show over the weekend and decided to put the truck in since it was a charity show. Didn't win anything, but the truck got quite a few good looks. Here's some of the shots I got as everyone was leaving. A photographer got some as well, but I'm still trying to get the files from him.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5764/21423846709_e134682556_o.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/759/21584584426_45ab8f150f_o.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5798/21423848229_4749555ff1_o.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/768/21610823185_b4bc40d375_o.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5783/21422745300_5115c6aa0b_o.jpg

Gotta be careful, you almost squished that bitch with your rear bumper in your first pic. :turborofl:

:rofl: didn't see her there until you said something.

Got a round of winter prep in this week. I still had a bottle of SCG Acrylic Sealant, so that's what she got.

df1fb32f54ffa03efd62d9c7c38c9761.jpg
e2610c62bfc3d4147435fbf46399ae20.jpg
ef0821708191a14aa4b57236edd4aaff.jpg

I'm really pleased how it came out. It added quite a bit of gloss. I'll add another layer next wash for sure.

I can't get over how much I love this thing on those 22s. Would love to have this exact setup but 2-3" lower for a daily.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I can't get over how much I love this thing on those 22s. Would love to have this exact setup but 2-3" lower for a daily.

Thanks guys. Even though it would look badass at 4/7, I think it's gonna stay right here. After running into the clearance issues in the rear, I feel like I would have to notch if I go much lower.

I love the way the truck has turned out, especially with the 22s. They just fill up the fender wells so much better on these trucks. I've gotten a surprisingly good response from locals even though all you see around here is lifted trucks.

So a couple weekends ago I took the truck to the strip for test and tune. Had tons of fun running the truck, but got a bit disheartened about how slow the truck is. I tried to keep telling myself how heavy it is being a crew cab, keeping times down. Here was the best run I got that day.

bde57af9f33c1384220a03bcf1d54366.jpg

After going to the strip, I'm really starting to rethink the direction I was going. Honestly, the truck is fun to drive as is, so I don't really need anymore power. A tune would still be nice, but isn't really needed either.

I need to crawl under the truck and take some measurements, but I'm leaning more towards going 4/7 instead of the performance mods. My main concern is axle clearance in the rear since I'd like to avoid running a notch. With all of that said, this is what I'm looking at going with to get to 4/7

Front:
Really been tossing this one around in my head since I can't figure out exactly what I want to do. Here are the options.
(1) Belltech Drop Coils - I can get them for less than 200 and they are a fairly easy install for me. No turning radius loss and from what I've heard they don't ride bad either.
(2) Spindles - I don't know that I like this option too well. I know they retain ride quality and alignment, but the loss of turning radius really bothers me. I would also be clueless when it comes to the install.
(3) DJM Lower Control Arms - Haven't really heard much about these, but I was planning on getting new lowers anyways since I'm pretty sure those ball joints are shot. They are a little pricey, but kill two birds with one stone and would be a simple install.

Rear:
I'm trying to get the flip that's listed in the classifieds here, but if I can't get that I plan on going with the street edge flip kit.

Shocks:
My current shocks are for 2-4 rear drop. Can I run these with extenders or do I just need to get new ones?

Helpers:
These may not happen right away, but will probably be needed. Should I go with the mcg helpers? I believe they run about 400 for the set. These are floating around on craigslist. http://lexington.craigslist.org/pts/5202003813.html If measurements are right, would these work? Since I work at a machine shop I could make all of the mounting brackets and such.

Anything I'm leaving out for the drop?

Texted James about his and he says he loves his spindles and struts. He said turning radius is great with belltech spindles. I'd go that route personally. Get with him and he can give you specifics about what he likes/dislikes.

Just plan on new shocks imo. Extenders aren't really made to be used like that and I still don't think they would give you enough to make those shocks work right.

Definitely plan for helpers. Without them you will probably bottom out on the frame at 7" on a ccsb. The mcg kit is nice. I personally wouldn't bother with the ones in that cl link. You really don't need more than a Schrader valve but on board air with a small tank and compressor would be ideal. Just something to work towards.

All just my .02..

You can get your turning radius back by finding on the spindle or the control arm. The part that sticks out like a triangle. That's what I did on my last truck and kinda did on this one

Sent from my tiny iPhone 4.

Texted James about his and he says he loves his spindles and struts. He said turning radius is great with belltech spindles. I'd go that route personally. Get with him and he can give you specifics about what he likes/dislikes.

Just plan on new shocks imo. Extenders aren't really made to be used like that and I still don't think they would give you enough to make those shocks work right.

Definitely plan for helpers. Without them you will probably bottom out on the frame at 7" on a ccsb. The mcg kit is nice. I personally wouldn't bother with the ones in that cl link. You really don't need more than a Schrader valve but on board air with a small tank and compressor would be ideal. Just something to work towards.

All just my .02..

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely talk to James about those spindles then. I think the install is what's really steering me away from them though. It wouldn't be so bad if there were other guys around me that could help or I had done them before. I usually have bassmaster luck when it comes to new installs. I've done coils twice now because of struts, so they don't scare me one bit.

My mind keeps floating back to the strut flip idea that rough country had too. It would at least be a temporary way to lower the front if I can snag a flip kit before the front end parts. It would also allow for some more adjustment if I needed to bring the front down more to match the rear.

I'll go on and budget in for new shocks, hoping to catch a sale at the suspension source. I'll probably go with the belltech sp again.

I'll do some more searching on the bags. They probably won't happen right away, but I know they will be a big help. I had them on my old truck and they helped tremendously with towing. I may just ask my dad if I can strip the kit off of it to put on my truck since it doesn't ever do any towing anymore. It has on board air and a switch/gauge in the cab. Hardest part would be making the bags fit.

I crawled under the truck yesterday to take some measurements and I've got 4" between the frame and the axle, so I'll only have one inch of clearance if I go to 7" in the rear. I'll definitely plan on helper bags.

Ran into an issue while I was down there. The UCA's sit at a pretty sharp angle and I'm not quite sure why. I'm pretty sure they are bottoming out over large bumps. This is at ride height.
a929c84c4d0aba075b28ea8532de7cc2.jpg

That's :nono:

I have a little more over an inch of clearance. Im tempted to go down another inch in the back but the Id have to lower the front as well.

Why can't I make 100k a year :mexiokay:

After tons of searching and discussion with some other members, it appears that this is just the normal angle for nnbs when you use a strut or spring to lower.

With that said, I will not be going with coils. That leaves 2 options for the front.

(1) belltech spindles - $280 - cheaper option of the two, but would retain my current ball joint angle.

(2) djm control arm set - $410 - more expensive option, but comes with complete UCA's and LCA's that keep proper geometry. Depending on which set I go with, I would potentially have room to take the front to 5" or 6".

Which should I go with?

I would get the control arm setup, that way it fixes your geometry. The ball joint riding at that angle won't last long and you go through ball joints all the time

Sent from Tapatwat

Last edited:
Well this may happen sooner than expected. The local guy that helped me out before came in to save the day again. He's demodding his truck to trade in on a 14 and made me a hell of a deal on a kit.

He has spindles, springs, flip kit, and rear shocks for $250. The shocks are belltech sp and everything else is street edge (rebranded belltech - instructions for the flip had belltech on them) He's holding it for me, so I'll be snagging it up as soon as I have the funds available.