Important!: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT build thread!

EVERY shop has had failures, if they haven't, they aren't trying. Chuck at FLT is an excellent guy to work with and extremely knowledgeable.

So is price your main concern when trying to build a fast car? Cause we've all seen the overlapping circles of Reliable, Fast and Cheap...

Good luck with it, if I can help, holler.

It's not a fast car. It's not built for racing. It's a mild cam car. Price doesn't always constitute quality, or lack there of.

The Trans doesn't even need a full rebuild. Most likely the pump is bad, or the converter is toast. But I'm having it rebuilt for peace of mind rather than cutting corners. I'm sure flt is fine, but I've just read too many issues. Circle d has had two guys have issues that I've been following, but the cars are both specifically built cars for racing so I didn't hold that as proof they suck. I still called, and they seem great. Whoever I spoke with talked to me for about 30 minutes or so. I'm sure most shops can do it. But I chose this shop based on customer service. I'm big on that. Circle d would be next, but not at their price point.

In the end I chose Futral based off reviews of guys I know and from dealing with them with my build. $3k for a Trans rebuild isn't what I'd consider cheap. Well, 2600. I'm not paying $5k or $6k that some of these shops want. That's fucking outrageous. It's a dd, and rarely neat on hard enough to even stress it. No other Trans cost that much for something like this.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Futral has a good following with knowledgeable guys. I'm not be in cheap, I'm being sensible. No way I want to spend another $5k on this car. This Trans should be fine. It has a warranty...

Last edited:
Good to go then. I'm picking up a forged 408 short block tomorrow and will soon be dropping that in an 86 Monte Carlo with AFR230 heads and a Fast LSXRT 102 intake, big ass custom cam and will be mating it up to a Futral built trans and will also be doing a full front and rear Detroit Speed coil over susp setup so I'm curious to see how it handles it. I know my RPM level 6 has seen over 2 years of daily duty, Yank PTB 3600, at least a dozen 11 sec passes in a 4300 lb truck and never skipped a beat. And was $3100 shipped. Only option it doesn't have is the SFI bellhousing, cryo treatment and of course the 300M input shaft which would make it a level 7. Lmk how you like it when it goes back in.

11012475_10205884112920405_5109619536911729828_n.jpg

Maybe the next vehicle you mod will go smoother. lol.

At least there's some good points to what's going on with your car though. I mean, how long would the stock trans have held up anyway?

A long time. They aren't turds like 4l60e. Trams was fine technically. I had it rebuilt anyway. The shafts really only needed to be replaced. 4-5-6 had a little wear, but not too bad. Just decide to do it all.