flip kit install with out helper leafs?

stroker87

May 16, 2014
flip kit install with out helper leafs? UPDATE: installed not a issue help?

WTF?

Update: I installed the flip, today when i was out running around I noticed on some stops (kinda on the aggressive side) I here a "CLUNK" then when taking off I hear it again any time its an aggressive stop or start.......? then when I was pulling up to my house I dropped in to 1st gear I herd it again?? some thing to do with the drive shaft? this is a lq4/4l80E swap it was lowered but now its about 1.5" lower but still never herd this clunk before?

hi every one new to the site seen there is a of info about lowering but could not find what I'm looking for

heres the deal

i purchased a 2004 RCSB that was lowered with lowering leafs and shackles in the rear & springs up front, when I 1st got it the ride was horrible! I swapped shocks and added a c notch the ride has improved but still a little harsh for my liking, I got a set of DJM 2.5 lower control arms & stock springs for the front also got stock leaf springs for the rear to install a flip kit hopping to improve the ride

this is what i'm worried about the front coil springs have a 1/2 coil cut i'm guessing to lower it a little would that be a problem with the DJM arms?

the leaf springs are missing the helper leafs since there not there will the drop be more then what the flip kit offers?

just dont want to get so low i have tires hitting and rubbing all over the place, running 255-55-20's tires 31" tall

not sure what the currant drop really is previous owner said 2/4? i'd like 1" more front and rear

turboT4_zpsfccdb369.jpg

turboT3_zpsdc54ad53.jpg

Last edited:
The helper leaf does not support the truck. the only time that leaf is used is when the truck suspension is dropped due to a load it then is used.

No cutting the coils would not hurt anything your fine doing so i know many who have do it.

Doing the control arms/cut springs and the stock leafs with a flip kit/and shackles should net a 3.5/8" drop. I would set the shackles up one so it would leave you at 7" of drop. On a RCSB that may be pretty level, however you may need to go up or down another inch in the rear which is easy adjusted with shackles.

7+ rear drop i think is to much for me i dont want to have to install a deeper notch or cut up the bed any I have the stock shackles i'll be installing should of mentioned that, this truck might see some mild loading nothing serious and no towing at all its more of a "daily toy" my f350 flatbed see all the hard work

so installing stock coil springs, DJM arms, stock leaf springs, shackles with a flip kit should improve my ride over the current drop coils and leafs correct?

with a 31" tire and a 3 to 4" front drop I will be ok with a mini tube? right now a good dip on the e-way or bump i'm hitting the inner fender well

Last edited:
ur gonna rub those 31s if u go any lower....planning on changing those out?

stock coils, DJM arms and stock rear with a flip kit will be a good ride. IDK how those arms affect, if any, the geometry and might cause bump steer but itll ride like stock

ur gonna rub those 31s if u go any lower....planning on changing those out?

stock coils, DJM arms and stock rear with a flip kit will be a good ride. IDK how those arms affect, if any, the geometry and might cause bump steer but itll ride like stock

i was hoping to keep them, I had 275-45-20's truck handled awesome but ride was bad i just could not take it any more, I just bought these rims they had 275-55-20's but was rubbing like crazy front and back so i swapped to these they are not as bad but do rub in the front at times

If you already rub a little then going even a little bit lower means you will rub alot even if you minitub :askmehowiknow: I was @ 5.5 up front when I got my 265/35/22 and came from 275/45/20 and all my rubbing and scrubbing stopped and I had a bunch of room so I went another 1" and now rubs rubber like a mofo.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk Pro

yeah I might have to swap out the front tires to a 255 50 20, unless this ride really improves with the DJM LCA's and the flip I will never run a 275 45 20 again i'd rather lift it a little

what the best way to remove the rear leafs? do i have to take the gas tank out?

thinking of pulling the bed off not sure it worth it though? i'm reading the bolt where the tank is, is the worst one some say loosen the tank others like you just beat the hell out of it........

well I got the flip kit and stock springs on today, the flip kit I used was western chassis #2110 what was suppose to be a "bolt on" kit but was not I had to notch the axle supports to fit in the perches not really a huge problem just wasted about 2 hours going back and forth with western chassis to make sure I had the right kit witch they said I did even though it didnt fit?

any way the truck is riding a lot better over all I just need some shorter bump stops the ones in the C notch are about 1.5" and i'm hitting them on good size bumps also had to roll the fender lips on the bed hitting and rubbing was pretty bad. I need to get the front done the back is sitting about 1" lower and looks like bad :(

my axle is now sitting about 3/8" off center? going to try and loosen up every thing to get it centered

pics of what I had to do in case some one down the road needs this info

photo1_zps114eef81.jpg

photo2_zps5a8b662f.jpg